Mungo

Setting copper rivets

Will any of the presses set copper rivets? When i set them by hand using a hammer they tend to get beat up, and look unprofessional.

They will. But if you keep at it you'll get better. I have the press but I never use it because it's a pain in the butt. It sets the rivets but it seemed every time I needed it to set a rivet there was a snap die in it. And every time I wanted to set a snap, there was a rivet die. I don't know who kept changing them but I end up not using.

Edit: My mistake, I thought you said brass rivets. There's no die for the hand setter for copper rivets and burrs. Maybe for the foot press ones, but I'm not sure. But yea. there's a lot of videos on how to set them by hand. As with most things, it takes practice.

Edited by Mike516
Read the OP wrong.

1 hour ago, Mungo said:

Will any of the presses set copper rivets? When i set them by hand using a hammer they tend to get beat up, and look unprofessional.

I found that by rotating the setting tool around the copper pin with each pound of the hammer (like an eighth or a quarter turn per blow), the copper washer goes down smoothly and does not bulge out on one side.  Makes them look great every time.  If my description does not make sense, let me know and I'll try to explain better.

I do the same thing with grommets and they come out very nice that way.

The three tool set and a bunch of practice are the only way to get good at this.  I don't always like the way mine look either.  But I just watched Keith Seidel set some in his shop, and its clear that practice is the key.

Yes you can set burr rivets with any arbor press. You need a hole on the bottom of the ram and another on the side for a set screw. Insert a steel tube with an internal diameter that's smaller than your burr. File the internal edge over a bit or you'll get a mark like I did. Press rivets.

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

IMG_1171.jpg