helena

Adjusting the mechanical arm

Since I am guessing,it is the mechanical arm setting. I just can not get to work right.if I set it tight hook gets stuck.s setting to a wide gap it move to stick later, intermittent and overall crappy.

IMG_20160619_130156.jpg

Good morning!

What size thread is running in the bobbin in this photo, I ask kindly with this other question also; is the needle that close to the left side when presser foot is down.  I think its a bit to close rubbing the side in my view and may well be the photo angle so a further look later. 

On to the gap about .004" to .018" inch is the range and generally  .011" is ok for 92 thread and its roughly 3 sheets of plain copy paper folded. This spec may be fine tuned by some pros here on the site more specific to a textile, oz type of leather etc.

Now importantly is the proper time the clearence setting is made; turning the h wheel towards you bringing the hook guide/lever to its back position and or far right position.

Turn the bobbin case reverse or counter clockwise these two parts make the gap and so adjust accordingly eliminating slack.

With this all set correctly the tab on the bobbin case, that fits in that slot mentioned on bottom of needle plate cover has a slight but close contact on the operator side and thus reducing some extra lyrics of the machine.

I think the opening amount is among other things used to make tension regulated, and in that only needs the gap of thread size capable in design with machine and other setting specs.

Some are the bobbin case thread capability and spring design, then the bottom of the feed plate where it covers the tab of the bobbin case this clearance also has a certain drag/tension in forming that perfect loop and locking the stitch, quite the design.

Good day

Floyd

The picture isn't a 153, but I describe the theory of the latch opener and how to set it. The process is the same. I copied this from a previous post of mine.

The latch opener adjustment is one of the most overlooked and important settings on a vertical hook machine. It's function is to hold the bobbin basket open just wide enough to create a clear path for the thread between the tab on the basket, and the back of the "notch" in the throat plate. It's easy to check, and easy to set. Get a couple ply of whatever you're sewing on and sew down a bit on the right edge. That will allow you to slide the cover open, turn the machine over by hand and watch your latch opener. Turn the handwheel slowly in the operating direction and watch the needle thread. After the hook picks it up, it will carry it over the top of the basket where your bobbin is. The latch opener should contact the basket and rotate it slightly ccw, allowing the thread to cleanly pass. If not, loosen the screw and adjust it just enough for the thread to clear. If you have it open too much, you'll hit the front side of the throat plate notch with the tab on the basket. An easy check when finished is to turn it until it's moved the basket as far as it will go ccw, then push the basket by hand ccw. There should be a slight gap. I've attached a pic below so you can see it. 

Regards, Eric

211_latch_adjustment.jpg

I just got hung up on thinking it was binding but now formed a brand new theory my bobbin is so worn that it starts skippingunder load .

This is why the machine was out of timing and slipping out of timing once I set it.

Turns out to be a wild goose chase, I got it timed but can not figure out why it is not pulling the stitches upp from the feed dog.

Well its good that you solved that, I have recently thought some bobbins also seem to give a bad issue. They were new but slightly off size bigger but listed to work? I know better now.

Give it another try with some fabric or other material while holding the thread tails for the first few stitches. A lot of the flat bed machines require that method as they will pull that easier thread, and make a bad day quick. The lever or latch seems to have a bit more clearance than needed still as its looks to be opening to early, like that part may need some looking into more extensive in the timing. It is good to see it by manually turning the hand wheel as it seems in the video. They are tough adjusting sometimes for sure.

I think using some fabric or material as in that video test situation will hold the thread somewhat.

Good day

Floyd

Edited by brmax