loddie

Cork filler supplier

Does anyone know of a supplier for cork filler (eg, Flexofil, Stopgap, or other) in the US?   This question was previously asked, but no one responded.  I've searched online and in the forum, but can't find a supplier.

Thanks!

if your talking about granular type cork as in powdered. I'd look to where latex is sold they use to use it in making arch supports only company that use to sell it 15-20 years ago was sold off to several different places and some of those were sold. knit-rite in KC you can get both old rubberized cork that comes in 1/4 " or sheeting as thin as 1/8 the rubber type add some masters to the top surface  heat it in a toaster  oven keep your eye one it about 250-275  it will puff up and git gets like a rag  and stick it in where you want it and let it cool check with fillauer   tenn  i'll see what I can find not sure where  ,,, I'd bet it still out there now the mask makers are using latex

53 minutes ago, thunter9 said:

if your talking about granular type cork as in powdered. I'd look to where latex is sold they use to use it in making arch supports only company that use to sell it 15-20 years ago was sold off to several different places and some of those were sold. knit-rite in KC you can get both old rubberized cork that comes in 1/4 " or sheeting as thin as 1/8 the rubber type add some masters to the top surface  heat it in a toaster  oven keep your eye one it about 250-275  it will puff up and git gets like a rag  and stick it in where you want it and let it cool check with fillauer   tenn  i'll see what I can find not sure where  ,,, I'd bet it still out there now the mask makers are using latex

thunter9,

Thanks for the link! The stuff I'm looking for is the powder already mixed with an adhesive.  It is commonly used in traditionally made shoes as a filler in the sole.  

I made cork powder in a blender and tried bonding it with woodworkers glue and Barge.  The woodworkers glue mixture didn't work well as the granules didn't want to consolidate together.  The Barge mixture worked well when allowed to dry in the open.  I would like to compress the cork/adhesive mixture in a mold that is mostly closed. But the mixture just did not want to cure after many hours.  I think that precludes solvent based adhesives as the solvent would not evaporate well.   I thought I would try the premixed stuff to see how well it worked.

The cork granules (powder link) is helpful.  I was not able to get a consistent granule size "blending" my own cork.  Do you have any recommendations for adhesives to bind it together and to leather?

Funny you mentioned Fillauer as I was going to try order other supplies from them today.  I just checked their catalog and they only have the thin cork sheet, not the premixed stuff.  The reason I want the mixture is I have some aggressive 3D contours to fill and the sheets won't conform well enough (I tried, they just crack).

Thanks!

liquid latex

it sets up fast

I think  your mistaken I've been in the orthopedic business  for 35 + years that  had a custom boot maker in the shop. they make a cork and rubber mix that you heat and you can mold it just about any where you want you never waist any . just keep it an it sticks to its self.  its called thermo cork missed you pnone number call back'