Sign in to follow this  
AussieMade

Tooling Dark Leather

Hey all,

Purchased a belt blank that is pre coloured to a whisky coloring, I have read that they are not the best for tooling designs into. The belt blank is from the same colour as the pic below and is 3.5mm (9oz) thick, by 32mm wide

I am making the belt for my mum as my first project after not touching leather for about 16yrs. I used to use veg tanned leather back in the days which I know was good for tooling into, just not to certain on whether this leather will be good or not.

Also what would be the best product to seal the leather, I am considering using a light antique finish over the top before sealing once finished as well.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Cheers Damien

football-whiskey.jpg

Edited by AussieMade

Does the source of the leather provide any description of it, such as whether this is vegetable tanned? Much tooling is done on undyed vegetable tanned leather, but leather that is vegetable tanned and also dyed can be tooled as well. Other leathers besides vegetable tanned can be tooled, but generally with less success.

2 hours ago, johnv474 said:

Does the source of the leather provide any description of it, such as whether this is vegetable tanned? Much tooling is done on undyed vegetable tanned leather, but leather that is vegetable tanned and also dyed can be tooled as well. Other leathers besides vegetable tanned can be tooled, but generally with less success.

Im pretty sure it is rolled veg tanned leather, but no direct info on it. Might have to stop back into the shop and find out on Monday.

The fastest way to know is to try some tooling on the very end of the belt blank. The majority of belt blanks are cut from veg tanned leather. Beyond that, the factor that will matter is what else besides dyeing was done to the belt blank. If it was waxed a lot, for example, it won't absorb water as well, which will make tooling a bit more challenging.

I'd try moistening the very end (just an inch or so) and then testing out tooling. That will be the most direct route to getting the correct answer.

41 minutes ago, johnv474 said:

The fastest way to know is to try some tooling on the very end of the belt blank. The majority of belt blanks are cut from veg tanned leather. Beyond that, the factor that will matter is what else besides dyeing was done to the belt blank. If it was waxed a lot, for example, it won't absorb water as well, which will make tooling a bit more challenging.

I'd try moistening the very end (just an inch or so) and then testing out tooling. That will be the most direct route to getting the correct answer.

Thanks John, will try that when the tools arrive