Oceanallover

Frobana Timing Adjustment

Dear All,

I am new to the forum and have a question that I imagine may already have been looked at by some of you.

I was given a Frobana outsole stitcher in dubious shape but am keen to get it stitching. I am struggling a little to adjust the timing of the hook and am wary of getting too physical with the workings until I know which screws etc I need to deal with.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

I'm not sure of the model but it has a wooden base and no cowling over the machine....... looks like the one in this youtube post:  

Regards,

Alex

Hello Alex,

I'm hoping we can help you there as our Frobana Bent Needle Stitcher (side sole stitcher) came with an old but complete instruction book in English, we've scanned the pages to digitise them but I really need to clean the files up to make those clear to read?  When I do I don't know whether I can upload them onto here . . maybe there is a library somewhere in the site where the manual can then be accessed by others?  Attached an example showing why the images need cleaning up.

But you'll need to identify EXACTLY which of the small range of models your example of the Frobana you have, changes to the "case" seem to have made small changes to the internal mechanism.  Never knew this until Google and then YouTube came along.

When I got my Frobana as part of a deal in buying a Singer 29K from a retiring cobbler in the late 1980's he gave me the Frobana for free as he hadn't been able to properly use it as the safety people "condemned it" as "unsafe" . . personally I think they should have been shown video of a "Campbell Highlift" working first?  They wouldn't have worried about the Frobana then!  Sat in my workshops as I moved about for years and it's only now that I'm putting it into use . . I now know how lucky I was as my example is the fully fledged item on it's cast alloy pedestal.

Drop me a message?

Roger

Frobana 002.jpg

Hi Alex, I am curious if you sorted this problem out. I had not seen this post before. I have several of these mostly in storage but if you need I could have a look a try and let you know how. If it is still not working right please tell me what is happening when you slowly wind it over and if you can send me a picture of the front with needle to hook relationship.Note: a big thing that makes them stitch badly is when the wear foot that the needle goes through is badly worn and angled.This will give a lot of misses in the stitching.

Along with the original owners manual which I've mentioned above I also have a video download from YouTube of the same thing in German, whomever posted it uploaded it as stills with dissolves between frames, to read it you pause the video.  I went back to YouTube to fetch it's URL and - guess what - I can't find it.  However, like the English one in our possession, I would be happy to convert the German version . . perhaps that should read "original original" . . into pages?

@RockyAussie . . thanks for the tip, we'll take a close look at ours though it's producing clean stitches . . except for the usual sewing machine frustration . . getting the tension right.

Hi Roger

If your tension is intermittent you will probably find it is a worn presser foot. It allows the shoe or article to lift a bit on the right and therefore the knot shows at the bottom. Unfortunately when I last looked for a new one the cost was over $400 Aus. If you find any at a better price please let me know. Regards Brian