jrny4wrd

Braided/twisted thread

What are the pros and cons with the differences between braided and twisted thread? I normally just buy thread from tandy and everything else from other places because they are the closest. I don't mind the thinkness and amount of wax on their twisted thread but have to ask, is there really just some bogus thread that people wouldn't touch? If so, why? I thought the general rule for thread is, "If it doesnt break after you pull it, its good." Waxed of course for friction. But, some prefer linnen, some poly, some braided, some twisted. Does it make a big difference on the quality of product? I can't really drive to a place to look at diff threads for hand sewing so I don't want to end up with a bunch of stuff I wont use. I like thick thread though. 

All I can tell you is the continuous polyester filament thread is supposed to be really tough. They use it for sail boat sails. So, that's something. Tiger thread is one such thread but I hear it's not easy to get your hands on in the states. However, slam bond thread is supposed to be comparable and available in the states. I believe it's less expensive being made domestically.

Sorry, that's all I got. I'll be watching this "thread" for more knowledge myself.

The waxed thread from tandy is just fine and I used it most of my leatherworking life. But... its a little expensive since you can only get it in little bits but if your not doing a lot of work is fine but 8 bucks for 25 yds is steep. I dont know that I ever used thread I hated but there are some subtle differences and YMMV. The twisted thread is a little more "fuzzy" and coarse than the braided. Neither is better or worse just depends on what you like to see. For twisted thread I really like Maine Thread

https://www.mainethread.com/index.php/waxed-polycord

I arrived at .040 as the perfect balance between thickness and still being able to use it well with the awls and chisels I use without having to use pliers or such.

Here is an example of maine thread

DSCF4939sm.JPG?m=1466842228

The braided thread is flat and just has a finer texture so it lays a little finer but the look you want is up to you. I dont think it is any stronger but I dont know how to test that. I use 1.1mm and again it is the perfect thickness as it just fits in the holes I make without being difficult to use. I use both types and it really just depends what I am making and what I want it to look like. Here is an example with braided thread.

DSCF5247sm.JPG?m=1466841654

Edited by Boriqua