BJP

PAINTING LETTERING ON A DOG COLLAR. HELP!!.. Help!

I am making leather lined leather dog collars which usually are embellished with studs and stones etc. 

I have now been asked to stamp and paint the  dogs name on each collar.  HELP!

This is not an issue with a lighter colour collar, as I usually use black USMC Fiebing's  spirit based dye to paint lettering which covers the collar colour..  but now have been asked for black dyed collars with silver lettering!  

What product should I use, and can someone tell me how to use it and also how to finish it for wear and tear/ waterproofing etc?  The only product I know of is Cova Colours by Tandy.     Also I'm in Canada, so the product would need to be available to me here.   

i'm really stumped here!!

thanks so much!

BJP

Thanks electrathon.  That's a good start.   Do you know of a very good brand that is better than Tandy Cova color?   one that builds color up nicely w/o streaking. 

and how would i seal it to finish and waterproof it.  I don't want it flaking off when it's bent etc.    

Thanks in advance!!

BJP

No brand names, almost any quality craft store brand should outdo the Cova Color though.  Dilute it down and use multiple watery coats, not a thick pasty coat.  I would likely seal it with satin sheen.  Nothing will be water proof on leather, just water resistant.

Thanks!  I bought Golden brand silver acrylic paint,  and painted 2 coats with one day drying in between each coat.  Didn't dilute it tho.     This was a practice strap!  How do I dilute it and what should the consistency be like when painting with it.    I then used 3 thin coats of resolene with 8 hrs in between each reso coat. 

Golden tube acrylic is very stiff. So really need some help as to how thin it should go on.     Art store ppl have no clue about painting leather.   

Will do thanx!

I'm thinking you mean evaporated milk.  In the can?