JerseyFirefighter

Working with really oily leather

So I grabbed a side of retan drum dyed leather a month ago. After cutting it down to straps i've noticed exactly how oily it is. After sitting for a bit it develops a white residue (almost like salty sweat stains on shirts or hats) along the leather, and can easily be rubbed off showing exactly how much oil is leeching to the surface. Is there a way to expedite the leeching process or to minimize the transfer to clothing? All I have in my bag is some sort of finisher like multiple coats of resolene. The leather itself is very pliable for 10-11oz and smells absolutely amazing. Id just rather not leave oil marks on some poor blokes shirt if I can avoid it. Thank you in advance. 

Sounds like the old Saltz Latigo, never had to worry about that stuff in a downpour.  You can marry it up (doubled and stitched) with something like a tooling leather (that you can also treat with acrylic on the flesh side or both sides for that matter if you really want to provide a barrier).  Other than that, it is what it is.

Art

You could try burying it in cornstarch, or floor dry, or kitty litter and let the oil leach out into it for a week and see if there is any appreciable improvement.  Guys that have over oiled leather have been successful in removing some of the oil.  Stir it up a couple times each day.  Tell us if it works for you.

Tom

Weaver sells their Strong Leather Cleaner.  We use this in house to remove excess fats and things from leather.  Then you can follow it up with the Spew Remover which locks in the fat and stops it from coming back up to the surface.  These are both in the new Master line of leather care products.  These 2 products I have personally seen used here on multiple leathers.  They do work.  The cleaner will take the residue off with little effort, then you follow up with the Spew Remover.  Be sure to follow the directions on each for best results.  

12 hours ago, northmount said:

You could try burying it in cornstarch, or floor dry, or kitty litter and let the oil leach out into it for a week and see if there is any appreciable improvement.  Guys that have over oiled leather have been successful in removing some of the oil.  Stir it up a couple times each day.  Tell us if it works for you.

Tom

Thanks Tom.. I tried a scrap in a little bit of cornstarch and see what happens.