Can resolene be applied without an airbrush? Any tips on applying it without air?

I've done it with a foam brush and it worked fine. Just make sure that it is room temp when you do it or it will streak.

A quick dip yields nice results. I airbrush a lot right now though. I can't get Resolene to brush on in a nice even coat to save my life.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to go the dip route, but will definitely experiment with the foam brush. Do you use it on the interior as well?

I have had very good results with a cheap, throw away camel hair brush (that I wash out with hand soap after each use) and it works super well.

The secret is twofold: a) dilute the resolene to a 50/50 solution of resolene and water AND B) apply two wet coats together, starting with the inside of the holster, then the back side, soaking into the flesh side of the leather. Once the first coat has been applied, . . . brush it until you have an almost foam like appearance that will then disappear with a bit more brushing. Continue to the smooth side of the leather pieces, . . . again soaking, working up the foam, and brushing until the foam bubbles are basically gone.

It is not as important on the flesh side, . . . but on the smooth side, . . . brush untill the bubbles are gone.

Now, . . . go back, . . . right now, . . . and do it again.

I like to hang my project up in the window, . . . let the sun's heat dry it, . . . or I hang it up about 7 feet above the furnace register, . . . it gets heat, . . . just not all at once.

I only had one problem with this method, . . . I got in a hurry on a black OWB I did for a .40 Glock, . . . and some of the bubbles were not gone, . . . when they dried, . . . it looked like water spots on a finely waxed wooden table.

Dye some scrap leather pieces, . . . and practice, . . . I think you will like it.

May God bless,

Dwight

I have had very good results with a cheap, throw away camel hair brush (that I wash out with hand soap after each use) and it works super well.

The secret is twofold: a) dilute the resolene to a 50/50 solution of resolene and water AND B) apply two wet coats together, starting with the inside of the holster, then the back side, soaking into the flesh side of the leather. Once the first coat has been applied, . . . brush it until you have an almost foam like appearance that will then disappear with a bit more brushing. Continue to the smooth side of the leather pieces, . . . again soaking, working up the foam, and brushing until the foam bubbles are basically gone.

It is not as important on the flesh side, . . . but on the smooth side, . . . brush untill the bubbles are gone.

Now, . . . go back, . . . right now, . . . and do it again.

I like to hang my project up in the window, . . . let the sun's heat dry it, . . . or I hang it up about 7 feet above the furnace register, . . . it gets heat, . . . just not all at once.

I only had one problem with this method, . . . I got in a hurry on a black OWB I did for a .40 Glock, . . . and some of the bubbles were not gone, . . . when they dried, . . . it looked like water spots on a finely waxed wooden table.

Dye some scrap leather pieces, . . . and practice, . . . I think you will like it.

May God bless,

Dwight

Exactly what I was looking for - thank you!