Does anyone out there know how to remove Super Sheen sealer? Can it be done? I have someone wanting me to redye a piece that I have already sealed with Super Sheen.

I've taken it off with water before, in order to re-do the antique job. For re-dying, you might want to go over the piece with deglazer as well.

Kate

Thanks CitizenKate, my customer just wants parts of the background changed. I don't think it's do able without redoing the whole thing.

I would not try to undo/redo part of it, but rather take off the entire finish and redo it. It would be difficult to get the redone parts to blend with the original work. Just my opinion.

Kate

The problem I'm having is that I used the Super Sheen as a dodge for part of the piece and antiqued over it. I then used Super Sheen as a sealer over all.Waterhorsesporrantwotone.jpg

I did the piece exactly like the customer wanted, yet now he wants the backgroung green.

Edited by Wyvern

I see. I have to agree with you, I don't know any way you could just re-do the background and the finishing for just that part of it. At least, not without the risk of ruining part of it.

I suppose if it were up to me, since it doesn't appear to have been personalized with a name or initials, and assuming I was willing to accommodate the customer that far, I would offer this piece to the open market and just make another.

(This also reminds me to add a clause to my "custom work agreement" which states the customer agrees to pay additional charges if they change their mind after the work has begun.)

Very nice item, by the way!

Kate

How about using a light coat of acrylic paint to achieve the green color? That way, you're not stripping any finish, etc.

I think that piece looks great the way it is, not sure I'd mess with it either. But, if you have to change the background color, I think you could just paint over the background with acrylic paint. It should stick right over the sealer and then you could spray a finish over that to seal the acrylic. I have painted over sealer on pictures like that and had no problem. I am not sure how it would hold up to hard use though.

Acrylic paint! Now why didn't I think of that! Thank you all for your help.

Yeah, why didn't I think of that? LOL I guess that's why it helps to ask around.

Kate