Sign in to follow this  
azrider

Have a plan, need suggestions

Well, I got a new (to me) bike a few months ago. Since its too cold for this desert rat to ride in Kansas right now, I want to do a few things for the bike. I was hoping for some suggestions on how best to make them. Going for a western saddle kind of look on all the gear with floral and basket weave.

Seat- Plan on recovering the original seat and pillon. Going to use the stock covers as templates, (maybe trim down the foam a little in the back) and lace the pieces together.

Grips- stamp and punch holes in them. Lace them up.

Bags- bought a pair of LeatherLyke bags off ebay. They are salvage recovery, and have road rash. Planning on pulling all the vinal off and using it for a pattern. Will lace the pieces together, and bond them to the plastic shells.

Tank Bib- Make pattern, stamp, and glue felt to the back. Lace edges.

So some questions:

1) Finish. I have been using Eco-flow Antique and Fiebings black dye. I would like these to be antiqued with black on the background of the pattern. Do I need to get a diffrent type of antique since Eco-flow is waterbased? What should I use to seal the leather that will hold up to occasional rain and not ruin my jeans? Do I need to do anything with the back side of the leather?

2) Glue. What would work best for glueing the leather to the ABS plastic shells for the bags? I should be able to lace it most of the way around the bottom, but there will be a gap, and the leather will work best if attached.

3) Lacing. Are grommets needed? This is for the seat, bags, and grip covers.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Edited by azrider

Too much at once?

Anything would be helpful. I talked to a shop in Kansas City, and he said to use the eco-flow with saddle sheen over it. Not sure how that will hold up long term. I ride about 8000 miles a year, so it will be getting used more than looked at.

There are others that are very experienced Im just a beginner really so here it goes.

First I would get some pics of the bike seat, grips, even the bags really quick so people have an idea of what they are going on and can give better direction on how to do some of the stuff.

As far as using antique or anything water based I dont think I would if your gonna be in some rain and such.

What color are you looking for? There are other methods of getting certain colors that are permanent.

Ive very rarely scene grommets used with lacing, use small holes or slits and you should be good to go.

I think for the bags I would use some kind of 3M like 77 or similer. These spray on glues usually do wonders if used correctly.

Thanks for the suggestions. No pictures yet, as I am still planning. Once the bags get here, I will measure out what I need and get the leather ordered.

As far as the color, I will be going for a brown with these. Like the color of the Acorn Brown Eco Flo, but like I said, concerned with the durability.

Thanks for the suggestions. No pictures yet, as I am still planning. Once the bags get here, I will measure out what I need and get the leather ordered.

As far as the color, I will be going for a brown with these. Like the color of the Acorn Brown Eco Flo, but like I said, concerned with the durability.

My suggestion is that you go for a resin type finish rather than water based. You ought to be able to find a brown oil based dye (try Fiebings) that fits your requirements and any black background can be fine painted with an artists brush and some black oil based dye. IMHO you ought to stain and seal the back of the leather as well as the front to make the job more water resistant but I'm happy to be contradicted on any of this - what do I know?

Grommets? I don't think so. Check out some of the work here on the forum and you'll see that top seat makers like Dave Theobald http://theobaldleather.com and Shirley Zanelli: http://www.badassseats.com seem to manage without.

Glue is a tricky one as I don't know what is available to you. Personally I would probably use Barge (available from Tandy LF) but I'd test a very small area before spreading the stuff all over... it could act as a solvent to the ABS - be warned!

Not sure if this has been helpful but good luck with your project.

I hope I can hit the highlights here.

I don't use eco-flo anything. I use spirit dye. You can still buy it directly from Fiebings. Same goes for antiquing paste. Fiebings directly from Fiebings. I've found that oil dye tends to rub off more than spirit. Plus I can shoot spirit dye through my air brush and be able to clean it up.

When done, for protection for the antiquing I use leather balm with atom wax....also a Fiebings products. aussie conditioner on top of that finishes it for me.

On an all black seat I use neet lac. Although I suspect you can use a wood finish product like deft also. But rub it on don't use a brush. That will keep the black on the leather not on your pants.

I do not stain or seal the back of the leather. If you use new padding make sure it is closed cell foam. This is what is used in boat cushions and lawn chairs.

Grips, get a good book on braiding and teach yourself how to cover them with braiding instead of sheet leather. Less likely to loosen and slip.

Gromets? no not on the structural lacing. I put some on the lacing at the nose of the seat just for decoration. DO NOT use slits anywhere....they will rip out. With a 200 lb guy on a 700 lb bike bouncing down the road at 70mph....slits don't stand a chance of surviving long term.

That's about it from me

Good luck

Dave Theobald

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dave, you suggested not using slits for these projects, which makes sense. Would the diamond shaped holes made by a four prong punch have the same issues? I noticed on all of your seats you use a round punch, what size is it?

I have some Fiebings dye, but want to check out thier antiquing gel and the leather balm with atom wax. I think the store I have been going to in Kansas City can get them. (Its almost two hours to the nearest Tandy from my house.)

Edited by azrider

The diamond punch would have the same problems as the slits.

For the structural lace (around the edge) that holds the seat together I use 1/8" holes and 1/4" kangaroo lace. For the decorative lacing I use 3/32" holes and lace

Look on your Fiebings dye container, they should give a telephone number. I order it direct from them. They send it directly to my house

Dave

Well, I got the seats done. Not sure if I will tackle the bags or the tank bib next. We'll see. It was a learning experince, but I fairly happy with the way it came out.

Done_on_bike_1.JPG

Done_on_bike_2.JPG

post-7753-1236541445_thumb.jpg

post-7753-1236541456_thumb.jpg

AzRider

Take a look at these saddle bags. They are on my list of bags to make for my cruizer. The are covered in "Sheridan" design. Good luck and welcome to the forum. By the way, I like the seats...nice BW.

Greetings from Round Rock, Texas

biker_saddlebags.jpg

post-6330-1236567912_thumb.jpg