CaptQuirk

Can you tool suede?

Well, can you? I've looked around, and found nothing.I did find some mention of burning it, but not tooling and carving it.

You cannot tool suede. You can, however burn it (pyrography) though I prefer nubuck to suede.

Only veg-tan leather will reliably take tooling. Some combination-tans will emboss, but I wouldn't attempt to tool them.

Chrome-tanned leathers cannot be tooled or reliably embossed.

Edited by Michael Sheldon
mispelling

Thanks Michael. I wasn't sure if it was me or the suede, but I couldn't get it to stamp. That is how I learned you couldn't tool and mold chrome tanned stuff.

The reason I asked about tooling suede, is that I'm using it as a liner on my holsters. There are times when I have a holster that hangs low, leaving a lot of liner showing. I think it looks good, but a little on the plain side. Have you tried burning it yourself? What was the result?

I've burned suede. If the surface is tight, I got excellent results, the looser/fuzzier the surface, the less crisp the design. 

Thanks. I'll look into it.

Suede is a poor choice for a lining material. It can attract and hold dirt, potentially harming the finish on the gun. 

Ok... heard bad things about pig, and now suede? What do you use? I suppose I could try straight up veg tanned for lining?

You may be confused about what "suede" is.  Not all suede is chrome tanned.  When [what you are calling] vegetable tanned leather is leveled (split) the underside which remains is "sueded", but still vegetable tanned.  More often, referred to as a "split".

If you make holsters from a single layer of tooling leather, then one side (usually the inside) is "sueded".  Lining the holster with a sueded split would make it thicker, heavier, but still "nappy" on the inside.

So, back to the original question.. can you tool "suede".. then yes, you can if it's vegetable tanned.

Pig would be good if it does not have a hard glazed finish like much of it has. Veg tan would be ideal. 

In fact, this underside "split" often IS "tooled".. to make fniished splits or embossed leathers.  Course, we're talking TONS of pressure in a press, not a mallet.

Yeah, I am a bit confused, as I'm still learning the ins and outs. I have sort of learned about veg tanned, since that is what works for my holsters. Then I read that lined holsters are all the rage, so I'm trying to accommodate. Personally, I kinda liked the suede lining, 2-3 oz made it soft and quiet.

In fact, this underside "split" often IS "tooled".. to make fniished splits or embossed leathers.  Course, we're talking TONS of pressure in a press, not a mallet.

Can you show me an example? I have no press, but it sounds interesting.

Example?  No... you'd have to google it, or some such. I'm not talking about a bench top model here.

Yeah, I am a bit confused, as I'm still learning the ins and outs. I have sort of learned about veg tanned, since that is what works for my holsters. Then I read that lined holsters are all the rage, so I'm trying to accommodate. Personally, I kinda liked the suede lining, 2-3 oz made it soft and quiet.

Can you show me an example? I have no press, but it sounds interesting.

Any of the patterned leathers are splits. Like pebble grain, or alligator patterns.

Yes, there are patterned chrome tans.

#1, embossed, not tooled.

#2, needs industrial equipment to do it. Massive pressure and likely heat applied.

Which comes back around to "can *you* tool it?", and the answer is still "no".

Ok, I think I have it. Thanks for the help, all of you.Like I said, I was just wondering what my options were for decorating the exposed suede. Going to google pyro... burning suede ;) Thanks again.