OnePivot

Best place for veg tan strap?

Im looking for 5/6 or 7/8 strap, at least 2 inches wide, in veg tan.

I've been getting 3 inch 5/6oz  strap off ebay, but my price is about $35 shipped per square foot. Seems high!

Any suggestions for a better supplier?

Call Springfield Leather Company.

GOOD leather is $10 / foot (give or take) at retail.  If you need ONE strap, then I wouldn't concern myself too much about the square foot price. Or if you need TEN straps, then just buy the side (or double shoulder) and cut them.

Give Zach White's a call...they are in North Carolina.

On 8/25/2016 at 5:43 AM, JLSleather said:

GOOD leather is $10 / foot (give or take) at retail.  If you need ONE strap, then I wouldn't concern myself too much about the square foot price. Or if you need TEN straps, then just buy the side (or double shoulder) and cut them.

Pre cut strap is great because I get so little waste and less cuts... But at $20 per sq ft premium Its ridiculous! 

I sent a few messages back and forth with weaver, I'm going to end up buying sides. No one sells affordable strap. Even considering waste, its way cheaper to cut my own strap.

6 hours ago, OnePivot said:

Pre cut strap is great because I get so little waste and less cuts...

That IS the sales pitch here.  To some extent it makes sense.  I mean, if the price ISN"T more, then basically you're asking someone else to pay for leather, cut out the part you don't want, and sell you the just the part you want and keep the less wonderful part themself.  Not strange, I generally find that those who ask others to do that, seem unwilling to do it themselves.

I'm not getting the whole thing about pricing a strap by the square foot.  If you just need one or two straps, then it's a bit of a waste to buy a side of leather.  And it actually IS more difficult to find a 48" long piece with no markings than it is to get a piece 12" wide, so you might expect a higher per foot cost. :dunno:

So, if you buy a side, and really just need a few straps ... what do you do with the rest?  I don't really see much people buying sides to get the couple straps they need, then offering a good price to the next guy on the couple straps THEY need, etc....

But back to the original question --no, I dont know of a "better" supplier.  A belt for a 40" waist at 1 1/2" wide "should" cost -- by your calculation -- about $5.  But I don't know where you would find that.

Buy a belly and a strap cutter? A "good" belly should give you at least 2-3 straps, more like 4-5.

There is no such thing as a "good" belly.  There ya go. ;)

For straps...belly stretches too much...:(

7 minutes ago, Troy I said:

For straps...belly stretches too much...:(

Right.  And for holsters 'n' sheathes, belly stretches too much.  But,... any tooled / stamped project... belly stretches too much.

Belly 'could' be used for small pocket articles which don't receive much if any strain, or for glued-in linings, or for door mats in winter time ;)

I don't think I suggested what strap should cost... Or how much i need, but moving on!

Best way to compare items is with comparable units. Strap isn't sold by the square foot, but if you calculate it out, its a monster premium. I wasn't sure if I was a bad shopper or if that's strap price in general, so I asked. Better to ask than guess I think.

I found what I need for $9/sq ft. There's no source for affordable strap. I need lots of strap, and it looks like double shoulders get me there, at about 10 square feet.