Sign in to follow this  
MADMAX22

rifle sling question

OK so I would like to make a rifle sling. I understand that the top portion that attaches to the rifle is usually a 1" strap that is folded over and riveted in place. No adjustment necessary.

Now the bottom attachment point which is usually adjustable from what I have scene is also usually 1" wide but here is where I run into issues.

I would think you dont want a buckle since that could chip or scratch your rifle so what type but then you could make a leather flap of sort to cover thebuckle also. So what other methods are there to make a adjustable portion.

I know the tandy kit uses chicago screws. I have scene online others that use a sort of leather concho looking thing with slits in it but Im not sure how those are made and or how they work.

Thanks for any info.

Max, on mine I also use chicago screws for the top and the bottom, DO NOT USE a rivet on the top.It must be removable.I also use a chicago screw where the bottom strap connects to the top piece.The only rivets I use is on my thumb loop.Dave

here's two that I did.

jeff1.jpg

CampSandy1.jpg

Thanks for the info. I noticed after I posted that your right they use chicago screws for both sides. I wasnt thinking properly.

And you just punch holes to allow it to be adjusted correct.

Max , yep just punch an extra 5or6 holes about an inch apart.Dave

DCKNIVES

That's some very nice work, I really like the knife sheath.

Hey Dave, on the strap at the bottom portion you said it gets chicago screwed to the main body, Is that done too the other layer of leather, so the main body is essentially dual layered and you run the strap thru the slits then it gets screwed to the back side of the main body.

No Max, I just run it through the loops and attach it to itself.Dave

Here's a little bit better shot

snakeskinsling.jpg

Ahhh ok thanks, I see now. Nice and simple.