Dan Miller

Whatsit Mystery Tool

This tool accompanied a box lot of leather working tools (stamps, punches, edgers, etc.). Is it a leatherworking tool, and if so, what is it for?

Thanks!
Dan

mystery tool.jpg

Bump with more photos. Anyone?

mystery-tool-1.jpg

mystery-tool-2.jpg

A couple more

mystery-tool-4.jpg

mystery-tool-3.jpg

Sorry Dan that sure is a mystery. The only thing I can think if it is for any use with leather is pressing and rolling up a join seam and the piece at front is to push harder with the other thumb.

I wonder if it isn't missing something that may have clamped into that slot ahead of the roller?  Otherwise, I can't make sense of that roller being perpendicular to the slot, unless the tool served two distinct but related purposes.

Definitely missing something. The hook part has a metal on metal wear line inside it. It looks like some kind of pin pivoted on that spot. The flats on each side of the ferrule look like a clamp went there.

The position and lack of angle of the head make it nearly impossible to use the roller on the bench without knuckle dragging so it either must have been used freehand on straps etc, or the roller doesn't touch the material.

My guess is it is for embossing a raised hump down center of a strap, and there was originally a frame to press the strap down on the roller, as it was pulled through.