AussieMade

Craftool Stamp

Just wondering if these two stamps are as rare as Ebay says they are? I have both I picked up brand new for a really good price. But I wouldn't really use them for anything in my area of leather work, so I would be consider selling them off again. Just not sure on whether the ebay price is worth what they are really valued at? I just seen the 8535 go for $159USD on ebay.

Craftool Co. USA ©1997 - 8534 - Angel with helping hands (Archangel Michael Possibly)

Craftool Co. USA ©1997 - 8535 - Angel

Any advice would be great thanks.

$_57.JPG

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I'm not paying those prices that you you've been suggesting.  Gonna start buying this stuff up to support my old age if that's going to be the case.

They're worth exactly what someone would be willing to give you for them, no more, no less.  Personally I'd never pay that much for a stamp.  I'd learn to be a better carver first.  My advice is to put it on ebay at an attractive starting bid and use the minimum winning bid option to protect yourself for what you'd like to get for it, and see what happens.

Used Tandy stamps are worth $3 apiece, tops. 

Rare older stamps are worth $4 apiece, tops.

Custom stamps are worth whatever you want to pay for whatever you need the stamp to do.  My personal top price is $4.

Given that we now live in an age where a person with a computer driven laser or CNC or 3D printer can make any stamp very quickly, the value of stamps in general is hitting the floor.

I'm with TonyRV2-- they're worth what someone is willing to give you for them (Fair Market Value).  Of course, "collectors" are nutbags who are just burdening their offspring with the job of getting rid of their personal effects (euphemism for "garbage") after they die.  Some of it might be worth a couple bucks, but it is almost never worth the pain in the A of sifting, sorting, evaluating, estimating, then auctioning or selling.  Ugh.

Sell them on ebay for as much as you can get for them.  They're just stamps, and frankly they're not even useful stamps.  All they do is that one dumb thing.  I'd rather have the money in my pocket than the angel on my workbench.  Of course, I don't see the point in having figure stamps like these.

10 hours ago, JMWendt said:

Used Tandy stamps are worth $3 apiece, tops. 

Rare older stamps are worth $4 apiece, tops.

Custom stamps are worth whatever you want to pay for whatever you need the stamp to do.  My personal top price is $4.

Given that we now live in an age where a person with a computer driven laser or CNC or 3D printer can make any stamp very quickly, the value of stamps in general is hitting the floor.

I'm with TonyRV2-- they're worth what someone is willing to give you for them (Fair Market Value).  Of course, "collectors" are nutbags who are just burdening their offspring with the job of getting rid of their personal effects (euphemism for "garbage") after they die.  Some of it might be worth a couple bucks, but it is almost never worth the pain in the A of sifting, sorting, evaluating, estimating, then auctioning or selling.  Ugh.

Sell them on ebay for as much as you can get for them.  They're just stamps, and frankly they're not even useful stamps.  All they do is that one dumb thing.  I'd rather have the money in my pocket than the angel on my workbench.  Of course, I don't see the point in having figure stamps like these.

Yeah didn't think they would be worth much. Just cant believe how anyone would want to spend that much on a stamp. I got them more so for my daughter to use as she likes playing with my scrap leather. I only paid about $6.00 each so cant complain.

I think you paid a fair price for those stamps, and if they bring your daughter and you a little pleasure I wouldn't sell them at any price. ;)

4 hours ago, TonyRV2 said:

I think you paid a fair price for those stamps, and if they bring your daughter and you a little pleasure I wouldn't sell them at any price. ;)

Yeah I am going to keep them. I dont thin k I would use them for anything unless someone wanted an angel for something particular (you never know). As said my daughter loves using them, and if I can encourage her to enjoy leather work, we will have a new saddler on hand when she is older

Of course, all this being said, I wouldn't sell any of my stamps ever.  And I'm always looking for more.

But the important stamps are the ones that really do a lot of the effects . . . bevelers, backgrounders, special shapes and patterns, basketweaves.  I've never cared much for the figure stamps like the angels and crosses and other full-art depiction stamps.  But my kids do love them because they're a cinch to use.

I just checked out of curiosity and indeed the 8534 is going $70 and $130 currently on ebay. There is a collector of just about anything and everything out there so I wouldn't find it unusual that someone out there would pay that. Hey I think there are still beanie baby collectors!!

Having said that I learned a bit ago that what a seller asks and what a seller gets is often miles apart. I still look at some leather articles on etsy and go "WHOA man oh man is someone really paying that much for X" I need to charge more ... but then go back 6 months later and its still there. Great, go ahead and tell people you sell wallets for $125 dollars but really you just list wallets for $125.

You didnt ask but .. Unless I really needed the money I wouldnt sell it. My daughter grew up so damn fast I cant believe it and if it is something you can share trust me its worth a boat load more than $100 bucks. I particular like the one with the outstretched hands and could easily see linking them together for borders or alternatively flipping it to see what kind of negative shapes and abstractions I could make. One of those things where fist you see the overall design then you get close and notice what elements comprise it.

Those prices are nuts.  They're just asking prices, not bids, I assume.

No one will pay that much for those stamps.

You should stop looking at ebay.  It is skewing your sense of reality.

I say hold on to it and make her a gift someday using the stamps.

Notice the leather color in the pictures of a whole bunch of the expensive stamps, it is all the same seller.........They all used to have that turquoise background in the pic earlier in the thread.....