Hey All,

Brand new to leather  and could use some serious help!  I made a double magazine holster (very first project that I didn't scrap) but totally spaced on the belt loop on the back...dumb I know!!   But that got me to thinking...How do I install a belt loop without cutting it apart and sewing one on?  I was thinking of putting IWB/OWB clips on it as an alternative  so I could use it both ways but could use your expertise!!   Keep in mind I am BRAND NEW and hand sew still and have very limited tools.... 

Thanks in advance!!

Do you have enough space on the ends to cut belt slots in it?

A picture would help.

yes if you have the means please post a pic. I am sure someone here can help ... did you glue it together or just stitch?

7 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Do you have enough space on the ends to cut belt slots in it?

A picture would help.

For sure.   No room on the ends for belt loops.  

2 hours ago, Boriqua said:

yes if you have the means please post a pic. I am sure someone here can help ... did you glue it together or just stitch?

And I just stitched it together.   I just bought glue and cement yesterday...

image.jpeg

Well I will preface this with ... I would probably just chuck it .. call it experience points earned and start a new one. However sometimes cost is a motivator and if it is and you want to save it with a minimum of deconstruction then one thing I might do is take a small piece of leather about the height and width of the mag pouch and cut two belt slots in it either by using a hole punch on either end and then connecting the holes with a razor or using a belt slot punch. Then I would sew it right on to the mag pouch right through the stitch holes you already have. You can do it right through without removing the old threads but it would look a lot more thought out and neat if you just pull the old stitches from either end and then stitch through all three pieces using the existing holes as a guide. Of course you dont have to pull the center line.

Once that is done its ready for use

Edited to add .. Make the new belt slot leather as tight as feasible across the back. Two loaded mags gets heavy and if you have a big loop on the back of the mag pouch the mags will want to hang away from your body and will mess up a quick draw and be annoying to wear. You want the mag pouch as close to your body as possible

If it has to serve IWB as well then I might take a couple of tee nuts and send it through the front. They are cheap, get the 6/32 and a small package of 6/32 x 3/8  screws. Then install a couple of straps and snaps. Easy breazy

slots.jpg

Edited by Boriqua

55 minutes ago, Boriqua said:

Well I will preface this with ... I would probably just chuck it .. call it experience points earned and start a new one. However sometimes cost is a motivator and if it is and you want to save it with a minimum of deconstruction then one thing I might do is take a small piece of leather about the height and width of the mag pouch and cut two belt slots in it either by using a hole punch on either end and then connecting the holes with a razor or using a belt slot punch. Then I would sew it right on to the mag pouch right through the stitch holes you already have. You can do it right through without removing the old threads but it would look a lot more thought out and neat if you just pull the old stitches from either end and then stitch through all three pieces using the existing holes as a guide. Of course you dont have to pull the center line.

Once that is done its ready for use

Edited to add .. Make the new belt slot leather as tight as feasible across the back. Two loaded mags gets heavy and if you have a big loop on the back of the mag pouch the mags will want to hang away from your body and will mess up a quick draw and be annoying to wear. You want the mag pouch as close to your body as possible

If it has to serve IWB as well then I might take a couple of tee nuts and send it through the front. They are cheap, get the 6/32 and a small package of 6/32 x 3/8  screws. Then install a couple of straps and snaps. Easy breazy

slots.jpg

Love that idea.   Being new... What are tee nuts??  I have no clue what those are and how to utilize them.  How would that look I guess if you may??

here is a thread that shows the use of tnuts. There are probably many more but this will give you the idea. I like the 6/32 screws and nuts but it seems some people go heavier. You dont need any heavier than 6/32 and the head fits perfectly in a snap. Tnuts can be had at any hardware store.

and here is one I took some close ups on

Edited by Boriqua

22 minutes ago, Boriqua said:

here is a thread that shows the use of tnuts. There are probably many more but this will give you the idea. I like the 6/32 screws and nuts but it seems some people go heavier. You dont need any heavier than 6/32 and the head fits perfectly in a snap. Tnuts can be had at any hardware store.

and here is one I took some close ups on

Much appreciated!!!    That looks like something I can do!!!   Thanks again!!!!