speldeth

Stitching garmet leather

Hello everyone. I'm trying to start a leather vest. I have already picked up a garmet leather side and have modified tandy's vest pattern to something I like. My question is what is a good way to stitch the pieces together. I have done a few gun holsters and belts so I can do a decent sandle stitch. I was curious if that is still a good way to go about it as well as what is a good spacing for the stitching? 

Edited by speldeth

When I started making vests I bought an old Singer 31-15 straight stitch machine, then converted it into a roller foot machine. I have another one now that I only use to sew garments. But, with a roller foot it sews about 8 to 10 ounces of garment leather. You will be limited to using #69 or maybe even #92 bonded nylon thread, which is plenty strong. I recommend sewing at 5 stitches per inch (6 minimum), to avoid weakening the seams. Sew in 1/2 inch on the flesh side, with the grain sides stapled or taped together. Where there are stress lines, fold the sewn seam over itself one 1/4 inch and flat fell sew it down.