metroplexchl

How does this stay curved?

Is there plastic in there? Or does the leather just stayed curved after so long?  My eyes aren't super great, but that seems to be one piece of 4-5oz maybe?  I can't tell if there's 2 layers of thin stuff with some hidden plastic in there or not?

I'm new and want to try to make this. Seems pretty straight forward but I thought I'd ask.

chris

I'll bite. How does what stay curved?

Damnation. My wife bought some fancy Belgian beer, and daddy likes the Belgian beer....

(1) Pinterest • The world’s catalog of ideas - Google Chrome 2016-09-09 23.22.55.jpg

Ha! I would think it would hold that shape. Maybe it was wet formed around something, well, round? Then stitched.

I'm only guessing though.

The panel doesn't appear to be stitched to the top. Not sure how they stay together, maybe a magnet in the pieces.

Well, you can't see the other half of the closure snap, so I'm guessing that it's a 2-layer sandwich for the main body. This allows you to do some shaping like bikermutt said - two layers of material wrapped around a cylinder will have different radii, and therefore different circumferences.  If you glue them together, they will tend to maintain that shape.

You'll run into this if you start making watch straps too - if you fold the leather strip in half and stitch, then wrap it around your wrist the inside will scrunch up a bit because it's trying to compress the same length of strap into a shorter circumference. If you instead glue them, and then wrap it around your wrist while the glue is still wet, the inside will slide a bit. Let the glue set, then trim off the excess from the inside of the strap before stitching. The strap will always maintain that bend.

I look at it from every angle and it is still flat, like all the other things on my monitor.

Seriously though, there is probably stiffener in between the leather layers. There actually looks like 2 strips, judging by that ripple in the leather running around the center inline with the snap.

if all you want to do is glue the body so it has the curve to it. the inside leather can be stretched but only if you can get a descent  stretch out of it meaning 1/2 inch at least then just glue the 2 pc together. this is done laid out flat  . or you can drape the inside leather over the beer can and roll the 2 glued pc together   the inside leather  is smaller than the outside  don't know if you can under stand  what I just said or not its no big deal

Completely understand. As the curve on the inside is lesser in lineal square inches due to the effect of the curve, one would have to either anticipate the lesser length of leather or (more wisely) glue the pieces together and then cut off the excess.

I wonder though if one piece of 3-4 or 4-5 oz leather is kept in curved for long enough it will just stay curved?

when I built braces for the leg . when I made the leather cuffs. I would cut  a leather strap that was the size I needed to go around the persons leg + considered padding if needed. in other words circumference + over lap + 1/2  to 3/4

then take a pc of lining leather and tack it to the table after I stretch it out.  glue both pc's   when you cut away the lining the whole thing will coil 

8 minutes ago, thunter9 said:

when I built braces for the leg . when I made the leather cuffs. I would cut  a leather strap that was the size I needed to go around the persons leg + considered padding if needed. in other words circumference + over lap + 1/2  to 3/4

then take a pc of lining leather and tack it to the table after I stretch it out.  glue both pc's   when you cut away the lining the whole thing will coil 

Wow....very cool tip.

I love this forum.

bigger stuff I would use my leg and apply the 2 pcs being glued together around the curvature  

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:11 AM, thefanninator said:

The panel doesn't appear to be stitched to the top. Not sure how they stay together, maybe a magnet in the pieces.

what I can tell. the top pc put together and then the round side is made. then the two are 45 degree stitched  only about 1/2 way around

been wrong before