USMCLoneWolf

Hand sewing with sinew

Hey yall,

I have been hand sewing with some artificial sinew[ first thread and needle i found for cheap] and the experimentation process has been a bugger!   I cant figure out what else to use but until then, how to I start the process?  I have tried tying knots in the end to keep it from pulling through but then Im left with a huge knot to deal with.  If i dont tie a knot then it pulls out of the leather too easily.   

Any suggestions on thread to use or how to deal with the knots whilst still making a sturdy product??

Thanks!!

Start about 3 holes from the end of your stitch line and then stitch back those three holes to the start.  Then go through the exact same holes as if you were starting from the very beginning of your stitch line.  This will lock the start into place.  When you reach the end then you basically do the same thing.  Stitch back about 3 holes and make sure you wind up with both ends on the side of leather that you can't see. At that point you can just cut the thread, or melt the thread back, in addition to perhaps putting a little dot of white glue over the end.  That last part is optional and something that I myself have never done, but others do.

2 hours ago, TonyRV2 said:

Start about 3 holes from the end of your stitch line and then stitch back those three holes to the start.  Then go through the exact same holes as if you were starting from the very beginning of your stitch line.  This will lock the start into place.  When you reach the end then you basically do the same thing.  Stitch back about 3 holes and make sure you wind up with both ends on the side of leather that you can't see. At that point you can just cut the thread, or melt the thread back, in addition to perhaps putting a little dot of white glue over the end.  That last part is optional and something that I myself have never done, but others do.

Awesome!!!   I will have to try that out!  Never occured to me to do that!!  Like I said...still new to this whole thing!!

I should have pointed out that I use what's called a saddle stitch when I sew and make primarily knife sheaths from 7 to 9oz veg tan leather.  This requires that you use two sewing needles, one on each end of the thread.  Look up 'saddle stitching' on youtube...there's a ton of tutorials on stitching leather there.

reading your post, it seems that you might be using one needle.  Definitely look up a tutorial on saddle stitching.  I believe Nigel Armitage's video is on the "How do I do that" part of the forum as a sticky.  Or maybe it is in the beginner section.  You can also find it on Youtube.  BTW, there are options on starting and ending the saddle stitch.  Explore different methods and then decide what is "right" for you.  I don't bother back stitching to begin a row, but I don't make stuff that is subjected to extreme usage conditions.  I typically end my row of stitching with two back stitches and then cut and melt or if it is something that I want to look extra nice, I'll pass the thread ends through one hole only and then cut.  That way there is no melted end showing and the thread ends are tucked in-between the layers of leather.  Gives a nice, finished look.

Good luck!