metroplexchl

How to tan a deer hide for hair-on hide

I want to make an old school hunting jacket or hunting.  It's going to be a white tailed deer (hair-on hide turned inward for warmth). I grew up giving hides on occassion to friends that worked leather and we would heavily salt the hide so the hair wouldn't "slip" or come off.  But beyond that, I don't know how to properly tan the hide. I assume it's not super difficult, but am clueless.

Your expertise and help would be appreciated!

Chris

21 minutes ago, metroplexchl said:

I want to make an old school hunting jacket or hunting.  It's going to be a white tailed deer (hair-on hide turned inward for warmth). I grew up giving hides on occassion to friends that worked leather and we would heavily salt the hide so the hair wouldn't "slip" or come off.  But beyond that, I don't know how to properly tan the hide. I assume it's not super difficult, but am clueless.

Your expertise and help would be appreciated!

Chris

Moved to "how do I do that" unless you are looking for someone to do it for you.

Tom

2 hours ago, northmount said:

Moved to "how do I do that" unless you are looking for someone to do it for you.

Tom

Perfect! thank you sir.