panchoskywalker

What to do with this leather jacket?

Hello, I just bought this vintage leather jacket on the bay and I wonder what could be done with it. I still don't receive it so these are pictures from the listing. I don't know if it would be possible to remove those stains, maybe apply something to make it a little darker, I am not sure so I'd like to hear some ideas from you fellow crafters.

25a7kg4.jpg

2nt9yyp.jpg

28km1xc.jpg

Judging from the green tint, this jacket appears to have gotten mildewed, which in technical parlance 'its going to be a bugger'.  Do you know for sure what kind of stains your dealing with?  Staining over mildew is not going to get rid of it.  If thats what it is, you're going to want to give this a thorough going over with something strong, which may be potentially damaging (bleach based) so you're going to have to be very careful, especially around the fabric.  If you think you're going to redye this jacket, then I wouldn't be too concerned about the leather itself.

A bugger? Really? What do you think I should try first?

All I can tell you is this...I've got a boat, a cabin cruiser with hard top.  The top is lined underneath with leather.  One year I left the enclosure up for quite a few weeks while there was high humidity and storms and the top mildewed.  That was 5 years ago and I've been fighting that doggone mildew ever since, using primarily bleach based products.  It goes away for a while but then always comes back, especially after winter storage.  Now granted, a leather jacket is not subjected to the typically the same environment as a boats' hard top liner, but from what I know about mildew, its a battle everywhere I'd ever encountered it.  You may want to consider having that jacket professionally cleaned somewhere, if anyone would be willing to give it a shot.  

So I've run on about this on two posts now....do we no for sure that we're looking at mildew on this jacket?

Someone resurrected this old thread today on getting rid of mold and mildew on leather.  It would be worth a read....