barebackmule

vintage buckstitch saddle identification

Hi everyone... it's been a long time since i last posted here

i just bought this old buckstitch saddle in a local tack shop for 150 bucks, it seems to fit my mule reasonably well and it's quite comfortable to ride, also it look like it saw very little use 

there's no maker's brand or logos anywhere on the saddle, there's just "1979" stamped on the latigo holder, could this be the Mfg year? any thoughts on the possible origin of this saddle?

14435355_10210332630423312_8330750308099601692_o.jpg

I've never seen a saddle without strings / with the brass rivets or whatever holding it together.

Could that be a clue as to who / when / where it was made?

May God bless,

Dwight

Those would be screw back conchos holding it together. Lots of "show" and "arena" type saddles are built with them. It's hard to say but my guess is it's a relatively cheap 60's to 80's saddle that was made in Mexico or in the saddlery equivalent of a sweat shop. This isn't to say it's not a "good" saddle, if you like it and it fits your horse/mule, then who's to say it isn't good for you. The leather on most all of the saddles I've seen that were made in Mexico is tanned in a way that it leaves some kind of a white salt stain on it if it gets wet. 

All the best, Josh

I'll bet you the saddle that it is worth money. If it is valuable, I win and get the saddle, If not you win and get the saddle. Sound like a deal?

the bars angle seems to be a bit narrow under the cantle for my mule's very flat back but in a 2 hour ride i did last sunday my mule seems to be happy with this saddle as he's flopping his ears while walking which means everything is alright for him

btw this sadde has Blevin like buckles but they seem to be made out of cast pot metal instead of steel, are they typical of mexican saddles and are they safe to use?

here's the saddle on my mule

14361359_10210327063284137_4683273450589980445_o.jpg

Edited by barebackmule