dhaverstick

Made this quiver for a flintlock turkey gun

I just finished this Lakota style quiver for my good friend, John Pruitt, in Spring City, Tennessee. He's been hinting around at wanting one for a while now and I finally had the time to make one for him. Besides that, John just finished up my new flintlock turkey gun with the Colerain jug choked barrel and he thought the quiver and 4 dozen homemade cookies were suitable payment for his time and services. Both items should pass each other in the mail this week.

The body of this quiver is made from elk leather and the yellow trim is deer. The arrowheads are made from cane toad skin and the brown band of leather at the mouth is tanned carp hide. I burned the petroglyphs onto pieces of deer hide and then sewed them on. That idea was inspired by the shirts Mike Yancey is now selling at his Pine Hollow Longbows website. The strap is made from New Zealand red deer hide and I carved the buttons from deer antler. Everything was sewn by hand using artificial sinew.

I should get my new shootin' iron Friday and I plan to have it broken in on a squirrel or turkey some time Saturday.

Darren

PruittQuiver-1_zps4okzrn6z.jpgPruittQuiver-2_zpsfuj5aowb.jpgPruittQuiver-3_zpsrjcqmpea.jpgPruittQuiver-4_zpsok4itb8t.jpg

Wow, what a great piece. I didn't even know you could get carp and toad leather.