HavenHillJay

Newbie from Eastern Nebraska

Hello everyone.  Just started to work leather last Christmas when I decided I wanted to make my wife a handmade gift.  Went to Tandy, picked out a journal kit and away I went.  The last time I was in Tandy was  in '89 when my wife and I were making costumes for a Renaissance Faire.  If I had only had a clue when I was a younger man, I would have gotten into it then!  I love it and wish I hadn't waited so long to get started.  In addition to the journal, I have done a money clip wallet, two check books, a set of coasters, and couple of suede pouches.  I am going to attach some pictures of the journal with this post.  I didn't dye it right away because I ran out of time before Christmas.  After I did the first check book, my wife liked the color and asked me to dye the journal the same way.  She is happy with the finish but I feel like it could have had a more even tone.  Any advise would be appreciated.

Journal 1_a.JPG

Journal 1_b.JPG

Journal 1_c.JPG

Journal 1_d.JPG

I think it looks great. 

If you used a dauber, it's really hard to get an even finish on the larger items.

The dauber picks up so much dye and then releases most of it with initial contact to the leather.

I use cheap house hold sponges cut into 1x3 squares. 

Also, the leather from Tandy can really be hit or miss at accepting dye. I have some thin Tandy leather that looks terrible when I don't use full strength dye. Even then I have to apply it in three different directions to get it even.

Welcome to the forum.

Edited by bikermutt07

I dyed the inlay part, buffed it out once dry and then applied antiquing gel over it with a scrap of sheep wool. I did the same thing to a checkbook and got a even coloring effect over its surface. Not sure why this one came out a bit uneven other than it being a larger surface area. 

I think it looks great!

Welcome!

Honestly, I kind of like the uneven look on this. Makes it look old and used.  Glad you are enjoying your new hobby!

12 hours ago, HavenHillJay said:

I dyed the inlay part, buffed it out once dry and then applied antiquing gel over it with a scrap of sheep wool. I did the same thing to a checkbook and got a even coloring effect over its surface. Not sure why this one came out a bit uneven other than it being a larger surface area. 

Just curious. Were they both from the same piece of leather?

6 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Just curious. Were they both from the same piece of leather?

Probably not.  They were both project kits from Tandy that I purchased at different times of the year.  

7 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

Honestly, I kind of like the uneven look on this. Makes it look old and used.  Glad you are enjoying your new hobby!

Thank you!

Welcome!  Great projects, especially the neat stitching.  Regarding the mottling, I don't think it looks bad.  If you aren't doing it already, next time try circles on the first application and straight lines on the second.  This works for me and I learned it from folks here on the forum.  

Again, welcome and keep sharing.

Wish I could claim the stitching as mine but the journal kit I bought was already stitched.  Will be doing a small journal for one of my kids soon, will be using a tooling side I bought from Tandy.  Will see if I can do a passable job of stitching on that one.  Thanks for the tip on using a circular motion for the initial application, will give that a try.