firstcapitalfirearms

Sewing Machine For Beginner

I am in the process of wanting to buy a portable sewing machine that is capable of sewing a minimum of 7oz leather. I am wanting a portable because space is limited at this time. I am also wanting something that is below 1500.00 as well. I have narrowed my choices down to either the Tippman Boss or the Sailrite LSZ-1. Can anyone give their advice / opinions or their recommendations. I am going to be making holsters / gun belts etc. 

Oh yeah this will be my first sewing machine and I am new at this whole adventure. 

Thanks

Mark

The sailrite LSZ-1 is a joke for sewing holsters - not sure if you have seen the "funny" Youtube Video already.

Putt 200 bucks on top and you can go for a proper Cowboy CB3200 with walking, Servo Motor and speed reducer f.i from Toledo Sewing Machines:

http://www.tolindsewmach.com/cb3200.html

EDIT:
sorry - have not noticed the word "portable" earlier - however you should consider the CB3200 anyway. Maybe build your own space saving stand. Well - depends on how portable you need your machine.

Edited by Constabulary

36 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

The sailrite LSZ-1 is a joke for sewing holsters - not sure if you have seen the "funny" Youtube Video already.

Putt 200 bucks on top and you can go for a proper Cowboy CB3200 with walking, Servo Motor and speed reducer f.i from Toledo Sewing Machines:

http://www.tolindsewmach.com/cb3200.html

EDIT:
sorry - have not noticed the word "portable" earlier - however you should consider the CB3200 anyway. Maybe build your own space saving stand. Well - depends on how portable you need your machine.

I have not seen the Youtube video. Most of what I have seen was made by Sailrite. If you know what the title of the video is or can post a link I would be interested in watching it. I do like the Cowboy machines but they take up too much space for what I have. 

I have not seen the Youtube video. Most of what I have seen was made by Sailrite. If you know what the title of the video is or can post a link I would be interested in watching it. I do like the Cowboy machines but they take up too much space for what I have. 

Thanks

Mark

I searched our own forum and found the video in question embedded into a reply concerning using a Sailrite to sew leather Renaissance gear. It shows a person using one to sew a knife sheath. Read the entire topic to gain some background.

Wiz linked to the Video. Hope that cures you from the sailrite LSZ-1 ;)

If I had space problems and need a heavy leather machine for holsters I´d check with the mentioned dealer f.i. and ask for options - maybe they can somehow set up a CB3200 for limited space. Keep in mind that the machine performance is one of the keys for successful leather sewing. It does not help you when you have a machine that fits your space but has not enough performance to sew heavy leather. You know what I mean?

LW member UWE once showed a mobile / space saving solution with a Adler 69 (I think) cylinder arm sewing machine and a servo motor but I can´t find the thread. So that setup but with a CB 3200 instead could be an option or at least a part of a solution. I´m sure UWE will read this and find the link to his thread.

I have seen a picture of a CB3200 with a hand crank. Not ideal, but an option for unpowered sewing. I will conjecture that one could be adapted to a patcher base and be treadle operated. Slippage of the leather would be a recurring problem though.

1 hour ago, Wizcrafts said:

I searched our own forum and found the video in question embedded into a reply concerning using a Sailrite to sew leather Renaissance gear. It shows a person using one to sew a knife sheath. Read the entire topic to gain some background.

At least he has good scissors......I looked through my stitch sample garbage bin, where i chuck the stuff i have used when i change thread/needles or if i am testing a certain stitch combo. Some of those pieces have been tested on half dozen-dozen different times and none of them is even close to looking as bad as that guys finished project......I mean, what is with all the threadless holes that have differing angles to the holes. Was he trying to figure out which way the needle goes by trial and error??. I feel like this is the kind of user that needs to be told that the pointy end goes down....Thing is, that sailrite will build a what he wants if he even came remotely close to knowing what he is doing. It would track it up some for sure, but if he patterned, glued and stitched before forming while the leather was dry, he could have got a passable sheath, albeit with some minor marking outa that sailrite. Apparently he bought a cobra as well..

Mark,

You might want to read the pinned thread below. I think you will learn that you want a compound walking-foot sewing machine. The LSZ is a walking foot zig zag machine.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/25239-the-type-of-sewing-machine-you-need-to-sew-leather/

Edited by Tejas

I would not get a LSZ either but wow that guys video is a pile of puke. Seriously some people should leave the video off. Would prefer if someone to badmouth something atleast know what they are doing.

Oh and where are you located OP? 

Edited by MADMAX22

Good-Times, I love that video...lets get to the good stuff.

The portable aspect is the issue.  Having moved around Singer machine heads by themselves that weigh 30-100 pounds, its hard to imagine any machine in a portable setting.  I suspect you could get the 29-4 setup portable, but its still a tank.  Plus since your new to this I would recommend getting use to sewing first before going "free-range" with it.  Holster work requires more than just a good machine.  Here is a great video, he makes it look so easy. 

This is a simple handcrank adaptation of the CB105 and as the CB3200 is roughly the same size it would still be workable.

DSC_0058.JPG