Dip dyed. Tandy side with Fiebings light brown. Why does it do this?

received_10202601406471673.jpeg

Edited by Mattsbagger

My guess would be that the dye has leeched in from the unprotected edges of the hide.  You may be able to minimize this by not letting the hide sit in the dye as long.  Mind you, this is just a guess on my part as I've never personally dip dyed a piece of leather.  The dark blotch near the bottom of the lower picture is tougher to explain I think.  Thinner grain in that area?  Residue on the rest of the hide that acted as a weak resist?  Was the hide thoroughly cleaned with a solvent prior to dying?

The one before this one was cleaned and was way worse so in the garbage can so tried not cleaning and came out better. Was basically put in the dye and removed in a second . Reminds me of the way end grain on wood takes dye.

How long has it dried? I have had what i thought was dye bleed through from the backside just turn out to be the unevaporated alcohol. Leave it for a day or two and see if it evens out by itself. If you have an airbrush, you can fade that edge in nicely. Or you can just hit the front with another coat to even it out.

That was 10 mins dry time. looked at it this morning hrs or so and looked the same. Hoping when get home from work 20hrs dry time buff it out and see what happens.

What grade of Tandy hide was it?  Oak-Leaf? Craftsman Oak?  Tandy's leather (sides, shoulders, etc.) have a tendency to contain invisible areas that result in uneven dye and/or stain penetration; basically has to do with the quality of the raw hide before tanning and the fact that they are not tanned in the same fashion as those that are tanned here in the U.S. tanneries.  Tandy ships their hides out to South American tanneries that use a different formula (which, in some countries includes the use of animal urine) and the results are nowhere near what you get with a true Oak tanned formula.  Everything you do to a raw hide will have an impact on it, good or bad, and the results when dyeing the leather will pretty much give away the true quality of the material.  I have used some Tandy hides in the past and had nothing but issues with them when it came to getting a consistent color penetration; never have had that issue with a hide tanned here in the U.S. or from Europe (England and France).

It's a 8/9 Oak leaf double shoulder. They have a "European bend" but that's probably not any better quality. I'm getting a HO bend from Jeff at JLSleather.

From the looks of it (based on the image of course) it looks like there was a blemish on the hide that wasn't obvious (similar to a bruise) that doesn't allow equal and consistent penetration of the coloring agent.  The Oak Leaf sides and double shoulders are guaranteed to provide at least one area each so it isn't a surprise; the Craftsman Oak products are loaded with blemishes, hidden and obvious.  I can't see this one getting much better at this point but you can give it a bit more of hide if you were to dye it a second time and maybe give it an application of leather balm with atom wax after it has dried.  The leather balm will darken the leather but at this point it is about the only way to make anything useful out of this piece.

Hang in there, everything has a way of working out for the better.

I've had this happen on the edges of a lot of my holsters and slings, expecially the light browns and tans...I use Wickett & Craig leather...if you let it sit for a day or two it will even out some...when I wet form the holster, the discoloration on the edges fades and evens out to match the rest of the holster.

You also might want to try and dunk your dried, dyed leather in some water for about 5 to 10 seconds, and then let it dry for a day or two, it might even out.

Word of caution..after you take the leather out of the water, keep rubbing your hand over the leather until all the water is absorbed...if you let water sit on top of the leather it will create dark spots.

As for your dark spots at the bottom of the leather..you might want to take a clean rag with a little rubbing alcohol on it and lightly go over the spot to try and blend it in with the rest of the leather...this sometimes works and sometimes might make it worse...it's your call.

Good luck.

Edited by Troy I

The difference between a beginner and an experienced craftsman is that a craftsman has learned how to hide his mistakes.

A master craftsman has learned how to make mistakes a design feature.

Well said TinkerTailor.

Edited by Troy I