Reegesc

Handy Automobile Documents Case

I've always been one to keep my automobile documents organized and readily accessible, unlike my wife who favors the glove box pile approach where the rule is if it's a document and has something to do with her vehicle (tire receipts, oil change receipts, car wash receipts, registration receipts, parking tickets, etc) it is safely stored (crammed) into her glove box.   I recently had to replace a blower switch in her vehicle which required removing the glove box....and its contents....and decided it was time to get her organized document wise.   I made two piles:  (1) Trash and (2) Required Documents (which are just two documents -- proof of insurance and vehicle registration).   Rather than putting these back in her glove box as seed material for a future pile of unnecessary documents, I made both of us a  handy document case that fits on the driver visor and is securely fastened with two sets of super magnet discs.  One set of magnets is installed (glued) on the visor and the other set is sewn into the document case    It's best to position the case such that all the paper work and case are sandwiched between the two sets of magnet discs as shown in the pic.

If you think that is a little over the top, how about making our own Insurance Card?  I did.  Not a counterfeit, just a cooler looking document with the same information as the ugly proof of insurance document.

IMG_6835.jpg

Documents Case.jpg

IMG_6834.jpg

IMG_6843.jpg

IMG_6844.jpg

Insurance Card Example.png

Yeah, I like it too. My wife also uses the same approach... and I have to wonder if it is due to the X chromosome? I swear, I can find the insurance and registration for every year, except the current year. Maybe one of those document folders is in my future?

I still find it amazing you have to have proof of insurance paperwork in your car, In Australia ours are included in the cost of our registration and can be read by the police at a touch of their computer screens to see if we are registered and insured.  Great work on the folder, might need to do something like that for my car as I have paper work, tools for work, camping stuff, more paperwork all through my car.

3 hours ago, AussieMade said:

I still find it amazing you have to have proof of insurance paperwork in your car, In Australia ours are included in the cost of our registration and can be read by the police at a touch of their computer screens to see if we are registered and insured.

It is silly when you think about it.  All of it, the registration, vehicle inspection, insurance, heck even a driver's license can be accessed digitally.  However, It would be a major disruption to pull-over protocol.  If they couldn't ask for documents, what would be their introduction statement when they pulled you over?   "Good afternoon Sir.  Approximately how many hairs are on your head?"  Then go back to their car and make sure you're not lying and check to see if your have any outstanding warrants.  Heck, the technology exists today where they could just scan license plates from a camera and send you a ticket for no insurance or expired license and registration.  But there's this matter of having to have "Probable Cause" first.   

1 minute ago, cseeger said:

Heck, the technology exists today where they could just scan license plates from a camera and send you a ticket for no insurance or expired license and registration.  But there's this matter of having to have "Probable Cause" first.   

They do that here already, the police don't even have to press anything anymore, their in car cameras automatically scan cars as the pass them or are behind them, then flag them if needed alerting police if there is action needed. 

I wonder how long it will be before we have RoboCop.   It's coming.  AI is already moving into the Legal Industry in a big way.  "Robot Replacing Lawyers A Near Certainty" is a recent headline in the Australiasian Lawyer Journal.  The medical field is going to be changed big time as well and heck of a lot faster than most realize.  The future cometh, and that right soon.