bartleby

Laser guide for Cowboy 4500?

Been doing leatherwork for a long time, but finally picked up a Cowboy 4500.  Is there a laser guide attachment made for this beautiful machine?  Thank you.

The cheap and perfectly functional way to do it is with a little magnetic, battery powered laser guide attachment. I think I got mine at Harbor Freight for less than $15. These are also available on Ebay for $12.50 .

IMG_6702.jpg

I also installed a fixed laser guide with a wired power connection on my Pfaff 335 once (the white LED spot light is from IKEA) . You can do a similar thing on a Cowboy 4500. Available on Ebay for around $15.

IMG_2470.jpg

Edited by Uwe

I once made one my self. I´m barely using it but it indeed can be helpful. Well, it´s not really a (physical) guide it´s just a light that gives you some orientation between 2 points but it does not make you sew straighter seams. When your hands have a "nervous twitch" the laser does not help you - if you know what I mean. But magnet laser Uwe has linked is way better than what I have built - too bad not available on my side of the pond. :wacko:

They make laser diodes that project a cross pattern and you can buy them at most electronic places.. I have been planning to build a laser system for a while. I actually want one line for the stitch line, one at 90 to it for the needle and one also at 90 that can be moved to indicate where to start a backstitch. The normal needle laser, I would utilize to get better needle placement when stopping at an Tee intersection or turning a square corner.  The second cross I would set it for the exact distance from the edge I need to start my initial backstitch so I get exactly 4 stitches and the seam ends in the same place every time. To be able to place a piece in, line the edge up with the laser, throw her in reverse, count to four and flip the lever would be awesome. Come to think of it, it would not be that hard to wire a switch in so the reverse lever actuates the backstitch laser.... The amount of time I spend with dividers measuring stitch samples for spi and marking the first holes of my backstitch on every seam is quite a bit once you add it up.

The reality is, for me, the above setup is money way better spent than on a needle positioner or even an edge guide. I don't need an edge guide to go straight, and frequently my stitch line ends up straighter than the edge anyways. I think this comes from my habit of always trimming after sewing to get a better cleaner edge. A laser  would be handy to show me if my straight stitch line across the middle of something is at the right angle to the project however..

"Hey Tinker, that's a really pretty and straight stitch, but why is it an inch higher on the right than it is on the left?....."

If you like, I can sell you the same thing, made specific for the needle trade, only costing 1,000% more!

HI, I'm Steve of Cowboy Leather Machines in Australia, to my knowledge Cowboy do not make a laser guide specifically for the Cowboy CB4500.   As the guys above have said you just use an off the shelf one.   There are mechanical guides for it though, there is the base plate version and the drop down version.   On a slightly (very) different subject we have finally been able to source Singer 132K6 binding attachments if anybody wants one.