jshep

Juki lu-562 drilling holes for attachments

I have a bias tape binder attachment that I got for my old sewing machine (this is it http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGLE-THREE-FOLD-BIAS-TAPE-BINDER-Singer-Brother-Juki-Industrial-machines-A2S-/231264807648). It doesn't seem to fit my new machine which is a Juki lu-562. It looks like I'm supposed to use the holes that are on the bobbin cover of the juki? These holes are too large for the screws that came with my attachment. I'm going to experiment a bit and hopefully find some screws that will work, but if I can't I was curious if anyone has drilled there own holes into their machine or how others have customizing an attachment to make it fit?  

Thanks!

That mounting system is meant for a machine with a horizontal hook, not a vertical hook (like your 562). You can mount it on the cover plate. I do folder work everyday, and when I don't have the correct mount I place the folder where it should line up, and see what options you have. Dont be afraid to mount it on the plate using at least 2 screws. I'd use a bigger screw, leave yourself plenty of adjustment and make sure your screws don't extend below the plate. Dremel them flat and smooth or they could interfere with your needle thread as it travels around the bobbin basket. There's also an adapter that mounts to the front of your flatbed, but I'd try the cover plate first. Have fun.

Regards, Eric 

Thanks for the tips Eric! I'll see if I can find the right screw sizes for the plate. 

Gottaknow, thanks for all the advice! I was wondering where you got the screws for the plate (or what size they are if you happen to know?). I went to a bunch of hardware stores with the plate trying every size and nothing seems to fit it. Also what is the adaptor you mentioned? Any chance you a link or picture for this? I'm still struggling to get either of my attachments to work on the Juki

Logically (!) one would assume that they would be metric, but I too have struggled with screw thread sizes on my various machines. I'm sure that some use a proprietary thing that they make up themselves!!! If all else fails, can you drill and tap the plate for something that you have?

I usually tap my own holes to standard thread sizes. That way I can switch machines and folders around quickly. Depending on the folder size and mounting methods, I use 1/4x20 for mounting to the bed itself, then either 10/28 or 8/32. Various brackets can be purchased from several sources online, check our sponsors too. 

Regards, Eric