Northman

Sew divider in leather box?

Hi, I´d like to know how to sew a partition/divider in a leather box?
So if there are three leather pieces they would look like an "H" when finished.
Pictures are greatly appreciated.
Is there any good book?

I'm sorry that I don't have any pictures because I've never done this, but I do have an idea.  Make a strap of two pieces of leather, glue and sew them back to back.  Dont glue or sew the last two inches or there abouts on each end.  You'll be able to fold open the ends of your strap to lie up against the inner wall of the box.  Glue and then sew in place on each end.

....Tony

Edited by TonyRV2

Tony's idea is good.

If you don't mind the folds you could also do it as in the picture below, which is how dividers are commonly inserted into bags, briefcases, etc.

il_fullxfull.669333494_2i0x.jpg

thanks for the replies. It's a "hard box" with a fairly thick leather that im taking about, so i'm not sure that rejeromes suggestion will work very well. At Least it it wont look very nice.
TonyRV2 suggestion is ok and I have already tried it, but.. I am wondering if there is a common technique that is used in this case.

Without knowing much about the box that you've made here's another idea.  Is the box going to be lined?  You could incorporate the divider into the liner by building sort of a figure 8....but square.  This would provide the divider and the lining for the sides.  A separate piece would be cut to line the bottom.

What about using some firm paper board or cardboard? You could glue and stitch the leather to the board and have it removable.