Dave4

What type of glue...?

Hi, desk caddy prototype in attached photo.  Wife made it as a practice/test piece, at the request of friend.  Our 206 isn't quite ready yet, so she made this with 92 on a 31-15 with a teflon foot.  B)  

It's 5oz latigo and wool felt.  She used whatever glue was laying around, and you can see how the felt wrinkled up when she formed it.  

The piece is firm enough to hold keys, knife, wallet, etc, but still easily flexible by hand.

We need advice for choosing a proper adhesive that will hold the felt attached but also retain some flexibility.

We also need general advice on leather selection for this type of felt-gluing work; eg which leather types work best vs which should be avoided due to oils that might interfere with glue bonding.  ie, is latigo generally a good or poor choice for this kind of work?   etc

Lastly, do folks generally just glue onto the flesh side "as is", or is there a prep technique (sanding, shaving, roughing up, chemical treatment, whatever) that can be used to promote a better bond?

Thanks for sharing your expertise!  

IMG_20161117_123911929.jpg

Glueing anything with a finished back like say latigo and you will generally have issues. Now if you split the latigo so its more bare leather on the back you can glue pretty good. Regular vegtan ya can glue pretty easy. 

I would use something like 3M 77 spray glue, hit the back side of the leather and the felt then stick them together. For me atleast doing larger areas the spray glue works well and is easier to get a thin coating on. 

Thanks Max, I think I have a can of 77 somewhere.  

Correction: wife says it wasn't latigo.  The piece in the photo was made using a sample given to her by a shoe repair shop, not the latigo side she's currently working with.  My mistake.  

DS

You can certainly roughen the leather to get a superior bond.  Adhesives work chemically and mechanically.  A textured surface will bond better than a smooth one.  Yes, some leathers are loaded with oils and waxes that make it more challenging to bond.  Those definitely respond better when roughened up.

Because of the curve and material thickness the liner needs to be just smaller than the outside. The wrinkles are the extra material in the fold and it needs to go somewhere. If you can glue it with the curves in the base sides already there it will help. Not as easy as flat but it is a better way. Same as making wallet interiors smaller and gluing them already folded.

3M 77 works great. Just remember, to get the best adhesion spray both surface's an let flash off 1min or so.:)