Sign in to follow this  
AussieMade

Card Slots?

I have been asked to make a phone case with card holder for my Brother-inlaw, Problem I am having is how do I make the card slot section? What would be the best thickness leather to use, and what do I use for the backing for the card slots? I need it to have 4-5 slots with a pouch behind for notes pretty much the same as the picture attached below.

Thanks

Damien

Case-for-iPhone-6-plus-5-5-inch-leather-phone-cases-holster-bracket-Wallet-Stand-Card.jpg

Edited by AussieMade

Based on the image you provided and the need for the version you are working on to be similar I would suggest that you use any one of the following leathers (provided in oz. descriptions):  1.5 oz. pigskin lining leather, 1.5 oz. calf leather, 1.5 oz. English Kip, or even 1.5 oz. goatskin.  You need to have the thinnest leather you can get your hands on but you also need to make sure that it has some level of durability as it is going to get worked over pretty good with the cards and everything else.  You need it to be thin in order to keep the overall thickness down to a manageable minimum as well.  You may be able to get the number of pockets desired but the overall size of the device is going to dictate that as you only have so much room to work with and you can't just stack pockets on top of each other to make a desired number fit; kind of like trying to put the square peg in the round hole.  The backing behind the card slot face is going to have to be made from an artificial materials such as a poly fabric or even using that wide ribbon method that so many have been talking about over the past year plus.  Anything I make that has a pocket for cards is made from 2 - 3 oz. veg-tan that I shave a little bit off of and then stitch it to a 3 - 4 oz. veg-tan panel that creates the larger back pocket area.  I see it this way, if a person is in the market for a product that has artificial materials and fabrics built into it then they already have plenty of other sources for product that has eventual failure built into it and I can move on to other things.  Just my take on this.

What are you using for the device base?  I have a supplier out of Southern California that sells them for just about every device you can dream of and they have been very good for me over the past couple of years.

On 11/19/2016 at 11:39 PM, NVLeatherWorx said:

What are you using for the device base?  I have a supplier out of Southern California that sells them for just about every device you can dream of and they have been very good for me over the past couple of years.

Thanks for the info Richard, Yeah though that may be the case, trying to find that thin leather is a hit and miss over here from what we are finding out after looking at one of the suppliers today. And I have been sent a pouch already which I intend to use the insert from for the phone required.

On 11/20/2016 at 8:27 AM, Chain said:

Great video, thanks for the link, I have saved it in my youtube favorites for when I start the build.