theoregoner

Skiving/splitting and finishing an entire side

I would like to skive/split and finish some entire sides of Hermann Oak leather. I'd like to get them down to 3 oz (from 8-10oz) with a good, clean looking back. Does anyone know of a place that would offer this service? (I'm aware Wicket & Craig does this in-house for their leathers, but I haven't heard the same for Hermann Oak)

Thanks!

Well, HO is like W/C in the sense that you can order leather in about any weight.  HO from the tannery is quite consistent thickness, actually... when they say 3/4, they MEAN 3 1/2 oz, and when I order 7/8, I GET 7 1/2 oz.  Very firm, very level.

Now, if you got some HO somewhere else, and want it split, that's a service I have repeatedly wondered why nobody seems to offer.  You can get leather cut, clicked, sewn, and dyed, but apparently splitting isn't "the in thing".

Most of us wouldn't have a machine large enough to split entire sides (or the space to put one, quite often).  And some are of course so terrified of competition they'd likely wet themselves at the thought of doing something beneficial for another crafter ...:head_hurts_kr:

2 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Well, HO is like W/C in the sense that you can order leather in about any weight.  HO from the tannery is quite consistent thickness, actually... when they say 3/4, they MEAN 3 1/2 oz, and when I order 7/8, I GET 7 1/2 oz.  Very firm, very level.

Now, if you got some HO somewhere else, and want it split, that's a service I have repeatedly wondered why nobody seems to offer.  You can get leather cut, clicked, sewn, and dyed, but apparently splitting isn't "the in thing".

Most of us wouldn't have a machine large enough to split entire sides (or the space to put one, quite often).  And some are of course so terrified of competition they'd likely wet themselves at the thought of doing something beneficial for another crafter ...:head_hurts_kr:

Plus i think those machines can be finicky and will turn expensive hides to scrap in seconds if something isn't perfect. I wonder if the risk involved with custom splitting is too high. It is one thing if you have a stack'o'hide beside you and you can grab another hide, and sell the messed up one in the defect pile, It is totally another if the customer sent you a single hide of expensive imported reindeer leather and the machine eats it...

Thanks for the responses. From what I see on their website, HO doesn't offer any leather at 3 oz, but are y'all saying they'd be able to split it down for me as an added service?

I haven't been able to contact them. My messages are getting kicked back. Anyone have a contact at HO?

Thanks again!

I've never sent a message. I just call them ( 800-325-7950 ) and tell 'em the weight I want.