Hey all! I've only been working with leather for just under a year but I've taken to it rather quickly and I'm really loving it, especially leather carving and tooling - likely due to my past experience with woodcarving - but I'm really having a hard time using background tools properly. I can't seem to figure out how to blend the impressions of the background stamps cleanly, or how to keep the color in the the background consistent  - some spots are always a bit more bruised and dark than others even though I try to keep the pressure of my strikes uniform. I would really appreciate any tips, advice, pointers and/or links to videos and tutorials. I've watched a lot of youtube vids but can't seem to find anything that really helps me in this department.

Thanks so much! I look forward to learning from everyone here.

Meg

might help if you posted a few pictures so we can see what issues you are having

As far as the back ground color from the stamping it can vary depending on angle of the tool, pressure of the strike, dampness of the leather, from piece to piece of leather. I usually get a little darker in areas because of how wet the leather is if I dont case it properly. I like the leather to be a little on the dryer side for the matte backgrounding because it stamps down better vice squishing out. 

Not sure if its recommended but a swivel knife cut to delineate the area to background helps keep it segregated.

When coloring the background area different then everything else small paint brushes (artist paintbrushes) are the best way I have found. Or antiquing if you want to go that route as the backgrounding will hold the antique and the rest of your project should have a resist on it to prevent it from picking up.  

Madmax - Thanks for the response. After doing some more research, I think you are right on the money and it's probably related to improperly casing the leather and stamping when it it's too wet.