thekid77

Prevent leather dyed with Tandy waterstain from lightening in areas where folded??

Hey everybody

I noticed that when I dye leather with the tandy waterstain, after it has dried and I buff it, it really lightens up on areas where it's bent.....any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening? Thank you in advance for any advice you can share!!

That effect is almost inherent in any absorbed dye, unless it is applied so heavily that the effect is not noticeable.  In bending it, you stretch a certain amount of color over a larger area, so the amount of color per inch is lowered.

Solution?  Bend first.

On 12/18/2016 at 1:04 PM, johnv474 said:

That effect is almost inherent in any absorbed dye, unless it is applied so heavily that the effect is not noticeable.  In bending it, you stretch a certain amount of color over a larger area, so the amount of color per inch is lowered.

Solution?  Bend first.

Hi John! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge :) Much appreciated!!

Bending first works for me:

It's called "pull up".  Some like it, some don't.  I've seen finished leather designed to do just that.  I have better luck with the Pro Oil line from Feibings.  Seems to get deeper in the leather.