eransh10

Blue Antique

I've done a something similar a few times. By looking at the edges of the color I would say that they used the same method. Basically after carving I dyed the leather and then did the highlights with acrylic paint on top and then sealed it with Resolene and so far it still looks ok. The only thing to look out for is the edges and with that piece you can see that the edges are slight choppy so I think they are hand painted. Doesn't matter when looking from a decent distance but really close you tend to notice.

I do the same thing with my radio straps except I use vinegaroon to make them black then I paint the letters.

21 hours ago, rvc said:

I've done a something similar a few times. By looking at the edges of the color I would say that they used the same method. Basically after carving I dyed the leather and then did the highlights with acrylic paint on top and then sealed it with Resolene and so far it still looks ok. The only thing to look out for is the edges and with that piece you can see that the edges are slight choppy so I think they are hand painted. Doesn't matter when looking from a decent distance but really close you tend to notice.

I get it now.

I think that she also goes with some sort of wooden block covered with cloth to remove the acrylics from the raised surface - than she is left with acrylic only in the cuts. I'm also guessing she dilutes the acrylic with water and that's why she can wipe it with cloth.

On 12/20/2016 at 2:35 PM, eransh10 said:

I get it now.

I think that she also goes with some sort of wooden block covered with cloth to remove the acrylics from the raised surface - than she is left with acrylic only in the cuts. I'm also guessing she dilutes the acrylic with water and that's why she can wipe it with cloth.

Your guess is correct. Acrylics are water soluble. YouTube search "Don Gonzales Saddlery". He has great tips on using acrylic and antique 

3 hours ago, MisterSmith said:

Your guess is correct. Acrylics are water soluble. YouTube search "Don Gonzales Saddlery". He has great tips on using acrylic and antique 

This is one topic i have not looked into much but i believe most of the acrylic "leather" paints and products are no different from art store stuff thinned out. Just like sponges and gloves at tandy, if it is rebranded for leatherwork, it costs double.

I did go through the msds sheets at TLFsafety.com and discovered most all of the ecoflo products are made by fiebings. I was specifically searching for the ingredients of the eco-flo cova color paints to see how they thinned the acrylics.

I tried using art-store Liquitex acrylics on a project and found that even very thin, it did not adhere well to the leather, at least atop black dye.  They did have some colors that I wanted to use, so my solution was to use cova color white as a base and then sprayed thinned Liquitex atop that.  Also, you need to put a white base color beneath many colors to get really vibrant color.

Bill