stormdevil

Problems using Antique Gel

Hi

I'm trying to use antique gel but it doesn't seem to work. I've got a test piece I'm using. I stamped the leather with a few stamps, then I dyed with a water based dye and allowed to dry overnight.

Now I follow the instructions on the eco-flo antique gel: Apply liberally, rub in, wipe off with a soft cloth. (I didn't resist because I didn't mind if colour overall colour changed)
I know the gel is supposed to stay in the impressions, but when I wipe everything comes off.

Tried again, applied, waited 1 minute, wiped off, and again it all wipes off. It's not a heavy tool impression, because it's a thin piece of leather and I didn't want to go through.

Any thoughts?

is your soft cloth nice and fluffy? try using paper towel, that's what I use and normally don't have an issue with it wiping out of the tool marks

Just now, Halitech said:

is your soft cloth nice and fluffy? try using paper towel, that's what I use and normally don't have an issue with it wiping out of the tool marks

Just using a paper towel folded.

unless your imprerssions are that shallow, can't see why it would all wipe out. can you show the piece after it's been wiped off

Applying the Gel Antique over an already dyed piece will not give you much effect, especially if the dye color is of the darker tones.  Gel Antique (and all Antique's) are primarily intended to be used on their own or, in some cases, can be blended with a dye to create a custom hue.  If the Gel Antique in question is the Tandy Eco-Flo product then you are supposed to use it on its own only.  If applying over a colored section (floral, etc. that has been dyed/painted with acrylic color) then you need to resist it first to hold the color.  The Eco-Flo Gel Antique colors much, much darker than a true Antique so it is more of a paste stain than an Antique.

Yes It's the Tandy eco flo gel antique. You are right - the only time I've had an OK result with it is when my leather wasn't pre-dyed.

I've given up with it.

Tandy Hi-Lite stain seems to work well for me. I've done a few pieces using it.