mixmkr

good upgrade from the LU562

Seems like a good price...realize it's Ebay...and posting might help attract other bidders of course.... but this machine has been listed a couple times now.  Owner answered my question that it was a backup, they had a full time maint person at their facility, etc.  Looks a tad worn obviously on the reverse lever, etc for "light use"...

But I could use a larger bobbin and keep (or I guess sell) my LU562.  Using 138 thread, the bobbins run out quick.  My LU 562 is in great shape and I just had a tech totally go over it and give it a "thumbs up". 

Is this just an average price.....'cause I see this model usually selling for $500+ or more.    The "N" or "NH" I'm led to believe just can sew a tad thicker, requiring the longer needle, which is potentially prone to break easier??  IOW sewing thicker, but softer leather would be best??

I'd pick this up in a heartbeat if this was a good, safe buy.  Again...it's Ebay, but the price seems almost 1/2.   Supposedly this is just the LU563 "newer model/upgrade" ??

What am I missing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291999523998?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hey pardner see you've scouted out a machine again.

As i was understanding the nh through chit chat post was it has a "more square" feed, so i guess the cams moving the dogs below and ?possibly some of the mechanical's above. They show this is some photos on their brochures, what i gather out of all this is less finesse in its speed and the trade off is more stomp in the trac. 

With the longer needle they all with that same top casting to my knowledge are capable to use it, It doesn't affect much that i found. I believe other than the letter series they all can be ordered a la carte as far as door, tensioner, etc.

Floyd

I had a 562 and upgraded to the 1508n about 3 years ago, it was a great move going from size G bobbins to size U, you won't regret it.

Scott

I'm not familiar with pricing over there, but I'd guess it's at the upper end for a machine like this? Looks pretty good, though, no paint missing from the bed, still has the needle protection bar fitted (I've yet to see a used machine that still has it!) and has a servo, with remote adjuster at the front of the table. I'd guess that having a servo would bump the price up a bit. As it's a company selling it it's probably not going to be a bargain buy, but it still might be a good buy.

Scott...anything else besides bobbin size that made you smile?   This is NOT the "N" or "NH"...I think maybe around 10 yrs old?? 

1 hour ago, dikman said:

has a servo, with remote adjuster at the front of the table

@dikman :That black speed-knob-like looking thing is just the main fuse cover, not a remote speed dial knob.

Aside from the bobbin size, the built-in bobbin winder and stitch length dial knob is nice, of course. 

I think $500 for a nice used Juki LU-1508 would actually be a bargain - I've never seen one for that price (I'd probably own it if I had.)

The horizontal axis hook Juki DNU-1541 look-alike costs about half of what a Juki LU-1508 costs new. Seeing a used Juki DNU-1541 for $500 used would be more common. The two machines look like twins above the bed and you really have to pay attention to tell the difference (and justify the price difference.)

A brand new Juki DNu-1541 head can be had for as little as $1,225 with free shipping in the U.S.

I do wonder what exactly makes the Juki LU-1508NH cost twice as much as the Juki DNU-1541S. It can't be just the vertical vs. horizontal axis hook and different feed dog motion.

Spot the difference:

Juki LU-1508NH:

JukiLU-1508NHHead.jpg

Juki DNU-1541S:

JukiDNU-1541SHead.jpg

Edited by Uwe
typos

I think the NH has a higher ultimate presser foot lift and can sew thicker materials (and heavier)...and a slightly longer 10mm stitch...versus just the 1508, which is what I'm referencing in my original first post.  I've got my hand on the trigger, but.......

Edited by mixmkr

I do wonder what exactly makes the Juki LU-1508NH cost twice as much as the Juki DNU-1541S. It can't be just the vertical vs. horizontal axis hook and different feed dog motion.

I'd like to know too!

A few differences I would consider standard, and that i look at to see are that the NH as a requirement in my book being heavy             duty model just like other heavy equipment I spent working on can be represented in many ways, here are just a few.

A Door that opens readily, hood- or this case the needle bar door thats cost a 100. bucs; how do i know i bought one for a 41s               and believe it or not i have a plainjane 41 that had a door, go figure!                                                                                                 (revert to top mention, what I consider standard heavy duty options)

A bigger Balancer pulley, provides an constant range of momentum higher than others that zippyity doo around like little cars

A bigger Casting at lower end, providing torsional strength with durability as the webbing that carries the bearings.

A Tension assembly with more and better range of adjustments, there is a difference!; weather you need to have it ?

These are some things above I think are considered, I suspect pressure spring parts could be different but really haven't any measures on coils. 

There is no doubt that in my mind some dealers and pro sew machine tech's and some others have seen clear differences and    that is just the difference in my experience, a call to them can make this all pretty boring as the answer would be in short order. Then what would we do here, finger gallopin on the table!  do 2 doo

hey coffees done, and oh ya good morning!

Floyd

Doh, thanks Uwe, you're quite right, of course. Don't know how I missed that (and I even had my glasses on!). I saw the red bit and thought it was an LCD display. That reduces its value straight away ;).

As much as I've "googled", etc.   I can't find anything on just the 1508, except it replaced the LU 563.  Only the 1508 (with a letter after it) is showing up in searches.  The NH version being the most expensive, as it seems to have a higher presser foot lift.....did I say that above?? :-D

I was thinking a bit and couldn't remember there being a difference in presser foot lifts really, with any of the 15series but always learning. So had a minute and took a look in the stuffed away 1508 manual.

What i found listed for these machines 1508, 09, 10, 11, 41, 60, 61, 65 all letters series in this manual- 

list 9mm hand lift and 16mm knee lift.

Something i may have seen and sure didn't realize and or forgot? yep, There is a difference in needle bar stroke of 2mm so listing the NH series as having 38mm vs 36mm all others except the 1565 having 33.36mm

This bit probably sheds some lite on the thicker sew ability somehow, but im not finding any of that just glancing through.

We can shuffle some of this around maybe and get more specs that can help the conversation, i need some coffee. 

Floyd

The Juki 1500N Engineer's Manual lists the various models' specifications.

Gregg characterizes the differences:

"As for the H model of the LU-1508N...this machine has a heavier 'flywheel' or handwheel. It's about six pounds, the standard is is about one pound. This helps with starting torque starting the run and getting the machine turning over. The H model also has a heavy hook that will allow a larger needle and thread to be used. That's it, part for part, really. I don't really know why people would think this is a much heavier capacity machine than a standard walking foot is capable of. It's not."

In the following thread:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/66067-machine-choice-heavier-than-a-juki-1541s/

LU-1500N Engineer's Manual 2002.pdf

The 1508 use a singer style foot , the juki 1509 uses a different style but is the same machine as far as I know.Over here in the uk the 1508 seems a difficult machine to find both new and second hand, the 1541 is easier to get but I would prefer the top loading myself.

unless somebody beats me to it...  I'm about ready to jump....but is there any downside to just the 1508... no "N", NH...etc?  At least that's what's on the plate...just "1508".    or am I just getting a larger bobbin LU562?  Seems the changes since the LU562/563 might be of benefit... like the rectangular presser foot rotation.  I like the top feed bobbin too. 

That Ebay listing is an auction, by the way, not a buy-it-now listing. I'd talk to the guy before bidding and find out exactly how he plans to ship it. Many perfectly good machines have been destroyed in transit, especially if they're shipped by people who don't ship sewing machines for a living.

thx Uwe.  I have contacted them and realize being outbid is a very real possibility too.  I think I'm just getting MAS (machine acquisition syndrome).  They've told me they're a manf company and this is a spare machine that has had light use over the years and they have an svc tech on staff... which may be just someone who likes to fiddle too!   Yeah...  gotta remember it's Ebay.   That said, I've bought and sold a lot over the years with Ebay at this dollar value and basically done OK.  They want $250 to ship...so that sounds like a pallet and a truck to me.  But ya never know.  Probably should just stick with a dealer.   That said, I should contact some of these forum vendors and tell them what my goals are.

thx all for the responses

37 minutes ago, mixmkr said:

Probably should just stick with a dealer.   That said, I should contact some of these forum vendors and tell them what my goals are.

thx all for the responses

Our member dealers, who have the ad banners in rotation on top of our pages, are the life blood of this forum. Please do contact them about your goals.

Do you get a "motorcycle" or do you just pony-up and get a HARLEY!  I think the machine you have is great, the slight upgrade your going to get from the 1508 is not a Harley, its just another motorcycle.  Since you already have a working flat bed get a CB-3200 or CB-4500.  ---note the sponsor plug Wiz ---

***Disclaimer*** - I am not affiliated or rewarded for this suggestion, but I am open to the idea....

What I wanted to hear.  I think I'm getting cold feet too, for lusting after too similar a machine, albeit a tad newer.  A CB 4500 would be awesome.  Not sure I'd have much use for it, but a heck of a machine.  I'll wait for that larger bobbin machine that lands in my hands at an great price.  No hurry I guess, so I can take my time.  I'm just getting addicted to these things.  Figuring a backup really isn't needed with these pups either.  They're solid enough to run all day long anyways.

Hey there is always more, wouldn't sweat it and if that seems to be the weather I think your smart to keep stitching.  Gut feelings are pretty accurate in my book, fwiw.  So anyway just idling down and to raz ya, the 562 thats a G bobbin its running. How is it loading with the tenara yardage wise. This stuff here im messing with is about 22yards of 92/size thread on a G, and I was arm measuring. But a few less than poly and maybe thats the way winder is tensioned not sure. I was just trying to figure how many feet of stitching before a change. Seems in rough measure 16" to do a foot topside thread doing a straight run, no tac. 

good day there

Floyd

Personally, I think a proper upgrade from the average Juki LU-562 setup would be something like a Durkopp Adler 867. Both machines do essentially the same thing (single needle flatbed for medium weight materials,) but you just know you're not in Kansas anymore the moment you sit down in front of it (or try to lift it out of the table.) I can hook you up. Call me after you explain the situation to your first-born.

Uwe...you crack me up.  You may get a call.

FLoyd... I just sewed a bunch of dock shades for a job, that all I really did was a double seam for hemming around the perimeter.  12' x 8 shades' approx. using 138 Tenara.  Each panel would easily take a couple of bobbins.  I probably went thru 10 bobbins total for 3 panels.  I did run a seam thru the middle to join two smaller panels to make my 12 x 8 as I was using Awntex in 60" rolls (same as Phifertex).  I haven't totaled up how much on a bobbin yet, but I would run down 2-3 sides of a panel and would need to change.  ROUGH guess of about 30-35 feet...but I could be off..  Mind you, I'm charging for the PTFE thread and making money, so usage isn't an issue.  I definitely notice a difference with the 92 Tenara of getting quite a bit more.

I saw on Ebay last fall where a guy bought a 241 (1541 grandpa, that was the LU 563 successor I think)  that the seller didn't know if it worked or not (no motor).  He walked away with it for $56 !!!  I'll keep looking too!  For $1250 for the Ebay 1508, that buys a new 1541 or similar.  If the NEW 1508 did NOT sell in the $2k+ range, I probably wouldn't take notice.

Uwe, your correct in many ways. A long arm DA in this situation is the typical setup for the big dogs I've seen.

And many use the Efka motors wherever their located in this world, Some day! yep someday this would be awesome!

Floyd

Yes agreed that 241 is nice and the older side loader of the 1541, that price was super, anyway they work together well really with 562 and 563. We can just look around here being the best place anywhere, these industrials are rock solid and finding one is great.

Have to watch some of 1541 are plain and not the S model and different, so the pricing should be looked at for that. Many i have seen can make the S difficult to see in there photos. To consider all of them its tough but this newer casting has been around a long time and reason for cloning it as ya see of late. Anyway i have a new plain model that sat in a basement, so its called new neva used, and a nice Kansas trip.

hey Im curious and will look into the awntex material i like the other, actually the very reason i bought my first roller knife it is great for that screen cutting

later

Floyd

Edited by brmax