thekid77

How to line a book cover??

Hi friends,

I am currently working on a book cover, and want to line it. I got the cover cut out, and I am trying to line it with sheepskin...I tried just gluing along the perimeter (contact cemented edges only), and it was a nightmare....bubbles everywhere when I tried folding it...also, I believe I made the mistake of gluing the sheepskin flat to the cover...a couple of questions...

1. Do I need to glue the entire surface area of both sides?

2. I know I need to glue the cover on the "curve" as opposed to the pieces being flat when glued, but can you suggest a good way to do this? To avoid bubbles and wrinkles in the liner?

Thank you so much!!

I assume just using the leather with no wool?

1. yes

2. use thin leather, fold halfway closed while gluing.  there will be some wrinkling.  other members suggest scoring several parallel lines in the fold to reduce the wrinkling.

you might like to do as search on the subject here.  it is one of the most commonly asked question.  applies to wallets, purses, all sorts of covers.

another option is to design the liner to slide behind a pocket on one side, and not glue the liner in the fold at all.  need to use thicker or stiffer leather so it slides into the pocket without deforming.

Tom

1 hour ago, northmount said:

I assume just using the leather with no wool?

1. yes

2. use thin leather, fold halfway closed while gluing.  there will be some wrinkling.  other members suggest scoring several parallel lines in the fold to reduce the wrinkling.

you might like to do as search on the subject here.  it is one of the most commonly asked question.  applies to wallets, purses, all sorts of covers.

another option is to design the liner to slide behind a pocket on one side, and not glue the liner in the fold at all.  need to use thicker or stiffer leather so it slides into the pocket without deforming.

Tom

Thanks for the advice Tom :) I will definitely need to research and experiment with this more!!