Prusty

Early/Mid 13th Century Belt

Belt measuring 77" long and 1" wide with tooling and metal fittings from the early-to-mid 13th century. Started this last year but only got round to finishing it last week because I really underestimated how long the tooling would take! The tooling was done using tools from the same period, and is inspired by art and architecture in Britain at this time. There's a few more odd looking leaves than I'd like, but having to do 63 of the little buggers means not every one can be just right. There's also a few collapsed edges in places from the burnishing, not that noticeable but still annoying, so need more practice there.

The buckle and buckle plate are made from silver, with inset garnets and green enamelling, and the lion strap-end is cast from brass. All of them are based off finds from the period, and were made by an old re-enactor friend over at Westwir, who makes really nice jewellery and medieval belt fittings.

Any feedback and critique is appreciated!

il_570xN.1174481161_lpoa.jpg

il_570xN.1174481987_6d3x.jpg

il_570xN.1174483631_j61v.jpg

il_570xN.1174492645_7dm1.jpg

It's beautiful!  Thanks for the link to where you got your fittings.  Once I figure out how to make a belt, I'll be in the market for medieval fittings. 

NICE!  Do you have links to the resources you used to get the pattern?  I'm in the SCA here and any member who saw this would go bonkers!