I recently picked up a Singer 153K103 for a price to good to pass up even though I didn't know anything about it or if it would even work for my projects.  A year and a half later I am ready to blow the dust off of it and see if I have anything worth messing with here.  First off I see that it has a 3 phase 240V motor that I have nothing to support with.  Also I have no manuals or information on it at all.  So I am curious to see if anyone out there has any advice or experience with these machines and where I should start.  Replacing the motor to 110V? Manuals? Parts availability?

Pictures will be added tomorrow.

Thanks

Kale

Edited by enginecoleather

With a three phase motor it is most likely a machine that has sewn a million miles so wear maybe an issue but parts are readily available.

Get yourself a servo motor rather than a clutch.

A consew 227r manual is pretty close

There is actually a manual for Singer 153K103: 153k101 (1).pdf

I too recommend replacing that 3-phase motor with a simple servo motor. 

I attached a few pictures.  Where is a good place to get servo motors and anything special I should be looking for?  Got both the manuals now thanks! 

22.jpg

23.jpg

There are a few advertisers/sponsors that advertise here, probably be a good place to start looking for a servo.

14 hours ago, enginecoleather said:

Where is a good place to get servo motors and anything special I should be looking for?

A lot of us, myself included, get our servo motors, v-belts and speed reducers from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. You would have to phone them to place an order. Others, especially members in Canada, get these items from Techsew, in Montreal. Folks on the West Coast probably get them from Leather Machine Company (Cobra). I prefer the Family Sew servos that have a simple pot or rotary switch to limit the top speed, rather than push buttons.

The important thing to ask any seller is if the motor has a 50mm (2 inch) or smaller pulley. Most of these motors ship from China with a 3" or larger pulley meant to deliver high speed to garment machines that sew at 90 stitches per second. Leather sewing dictates a maximum sewing rate of about 10 to 15 stitches per second. That's where the 3:1 speed reducer comes into play. It not only makes the machine easier to control at slow speeds, but also magnifies the punching power at low speed, where servo motors typically fall off.