pharescustomleatherworks

Fork Covering on an Association Tree

I'm working on my first saddle and am having a little trouble covering the forks.  I'm building it on an association tree since that's what we use for ranch work and roping in Florida.  My biggest problem is the slit on either side of the forks that is on most every association tree.  I'm using the Dusty Johnson book and DVD, but the saddle built in the instructions is on the Bowman tree and the slit doesn't have to be made.  More than anything I just want to know if there is a set way to go about the split, or if you just have to eyeball it more than anything else.  Anyways I look forward to the new knowledge and opinions from y'all, thanks in advance!

Jared 

The Stohlman Encyclopedias show how to cover swells with a welt in great detail. Actually, maybe a little too much detail. Harry Adams explains it also, but if you've never done one, you could get into trouble using just his book.  I'm not very good at explaining things, but basically you have to gather the slack together on each side, pinch it together, cut out most of the excess, and either lace the split together or sew a welt in.  Maybe someone will come along here that can explain it better and in more detail than I can. There is lots of opportunity for screwing up a cover for a swell fork. I think I have 2 covers in a drawer somewhere that I pulled off after I installed them because I didn't like how they turned out.  Keith Seidel really has a knack for explaining and is also a master craftsman. Hopefully he'll comment.

Edit: I fit up one side and then usually just transfer to the other, leaving a little extra if the second side is a little heavier or firmer leather. You can always trim if you leave too much.  I also try to follow the natural curvature of the fork with my welts, and this is just me personally, but with a tree such as a Mod Asocciation or Arizona Roper, etc, I like my welts to come down the front side at an angle.

IMG_5490.JPG

Edited by Big Sioux Saddlery

Thanks for the quick reply, and basically you told me that my brain was headed in the right direction in the sense of pulling the slack to either side.  If you know of any links or anything on how to do the lacing or stitching I'd be happy to have them, but if not I can see if Mr. Keith replies or if I could try to message him.  But once again thanks for the info. 

Get the Stohlman saddle-making books.  I think Tandy sells them in one volume now. A great investment for a novice saddle maker. They often go on sale for $70. They will show you in clearly explained detail with text and diagrams how to make laced and welted swell covers, and everything else too. I'm a novice maker who has made two saddles using the Stohlman and Adams books.  One saddle had a laced swell and the other a welted swell.  Not sure which was easier - maybe lacing.  I found Stohlman's instructions easier to follow. I think it would be difficult to explain in this forum without diagrams or pictures.  --John

+1 for the Stohlman books.  I'm currently building my first saddle with an association swell.  I tried to lace the first attempt but didn't like the way it looked.  So, I tore it off and made a second one following his instructions for the welts.  I used his welt jig and found doing the welts much easier than lacing.  I will post pictures when I finally get done with the construction.  But I would for sure get the book for guidance.

Sorry for not getting back with this sooner. I ended up having to get help from a saddlemaker and he was happy to teach me. I finished the saddle about a week ago and have a post for it on another page so feel free to check it out. Here is a picture of the finished swell though:

IMG_2131.JPG