yamahog3187

RTC as a sealer

I recently purchased a bottle of RTC as a sealer/resist. I am trying to seal a knife sheath. The sheath is HO 7/8 oz leather dyed with Eco-Flo black dye. I then buffed it with a light colored cloth. There was no pigments coming off of it. (I have read about this with the Fiebing's dyes, but I try to buff anything I dye.) There are two colors on the sheath. The second is done in Eco-Flo as well. It is a burgundy that I mixed myself. It was dyed about a 10 days ago. I had to stop work due to my wife's knee surgery. Today I got back to work. I tried to seal the leather with the RTC and it is pulling the black out of the leather. The burgundy doesn't seem to be affected. I was applying with a dry rag with very light pressure, but there is one section that I can actually see the natural color of the leather coming back through. What am I doing wrong? Any help you all can give me would be appreciated. This is the first time I have tried the RTC so I figure I am probably doing something wrong. TIA

While I have not used RTC over dyed leather, I have tried using it as a resist and final finish and not had good luck with either.  Label says apply one coat to use as a resist, I got poor coverage and it caused uneven antiquing.  Applied as a final finish, it lifted the antique. So overall, I was not impressed.

I use RTC on everything.  Its a great resist when used with spirit based dyes.  Because eco flow is water based, the only way to apply it without streaks or lifting is to use a sprayer and don't touch it until it dries.  You can also lightly dab it on in light touches and apply a heavier coat later.  Spraying is easiest.  This is actually good advice for applying any finish if you want to avoid streaks.