pinkchaps

Wedding ring Metal type wet leather

Hey I got a question that I hope someone will know. I'm going to get a wedding ring and I know some metal will make black marks where it comes in contact with wet leather. Beings I'm a saddle maker and a tooler. I'll spend lots of time with my hands on wet leather.   Any ideas. Or the kind of rings y'all may have. Thank you 

Unless you get a "faux ring" off a street corner vender, I would think you will be ok. Most wedding rings are gold, and I haven't noticed any marks or discoloration. But, if your finger starts to turn green, I would say to keep it away from your leather.

Any metal that you would consider wedding ring metal will not discolor leather.  Iron is what will be trouble.

Well I thank y'all for yalls replys.    Heck I wasn't forsure.   I'd hate to spend the money on it and it leave marks.   So better safe than sorry.  So gold , silver or platinum shouldn't be a problem. I was wanting to get one with that had deep engraving on it.    So once again I thank y'all. 

I think the bigger concern, would be scratching the leather with the stone, not the metal.

The metal not what causes the black marks on the leather.  It is from your hands... sweat, oils, etc.  The tools you handle, the water, even your diet can create black stains on your leather.  A simple  wash with oxalic acid before oiling will neutralize any black marks on your leather.

I have a titanium wedding band and haven't had any issues with it and it coming into contact with many nefarious chemicals.  My wife has 2 rings, 1 being a plain titanium band and a much nicer piece with a diamond.  If there is any kind of crushing danger, stay away from the harder metals.  Not all E.R.s can remove the non-traditional metals, e.g. titanium, tungsten, cobalt.  Finger re-attachment becomes an option at that point.  HAving the nice second ring keeps the nice one nice.  The other option that I ended up going with was a tattoo.  I almost sleeved my finger more than a few times and decided to pull that trigger.