map1984

3d leather?

That guy makes some cool books! You are right, it would have to be thin leather, and wet formed too.

ive heard (not sure of the source or even if it would work) that a mix of glue and water in a bucket and the leather is soaked in the compound and molded to shape. If this is true I don't know the glue to water ratio

On his etsy listing he lists pva glue and resin.  I suspect he is forming over something using thin leather and a strong glue.  Curious to hear if anyone has done this myself.

There is a long thread on this exact question around here somewhere. Basically couple of methods you can use the vegtan and wet form over a form, the wet leather is wrinkled up to your liking, or use chrome tan leather or similar and some type of glue so it sticks to its shape that you are forming over and to hold the wrinkles you work into it. 

Thanks so much for the kind replies, I'm going to try and find that thread and learn more about this amazing technique. Particularly interesting way of using chrome tan with the glue, hopefully I find the thread!

Edited by map1984

17 hours ago, map1984 said:

Thanks so much for the kind replies, I'm going to try and find that thread and learn more about this amazing technique. Particularly interesting way of using chrome tan with the glue, hopefully I find the thread!

atleast get ya started