jlsleatherworks

What needles and where do I find them?

I have an Adler 104-2 and need some needles for several years I have been using needles that came with the machine and they are now past the point of use. The needles I have are marked Schmet 160. I'm not sure what needles I need or where to find them. I am using 277 thread. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!

214x1, 328 (fabric)

214x2, 328 (leather point)

NM 200 or 25 is listed as the minimum size for 277 thread (25, 26, 27 are recommended).

The Adler 104 Operator's manual (Manual_Adler_104_105.pdf) may give you some additional information. It also specifies the 328 Needle system to be used. 

Here's a picture of the Groz Beckert Version of the 328 leather point needles, which show the various names this needle system goes by. The usual suspects in the banner ads will have them in stock and they tend to offer more guidance than the Ebay sources.

328LR.jpg

Edited by Uwe

Thanks for the guidance! Know that I know what I need getting it should be easy enough. Just my curiosity getting to me but could you explain what the size numbers mean? Are they actual dimensions of the needle or do they represent something else?

The Nm (Number metric) needle size number is in 1/100th of millimeters, so a Nm 100 is 1.00 mm thick, a Nm 200 is 2.00mm thick, etc.  The other number 20,21,22, etc. are usually Singer size designation and do not represent any actual dimensions.

Edited by Uwe