durden7

Is there a Master Guide? Favorite book?

Hi Gang,

Do you have a favorite leatherworking book? Is there a master guide that people look for? 

I bought a few from Tandy, the only store in my area. Their books feel limited to me. Is there a particular master guide that people use? I have a few of the Stohlman books, but was wondering what else out there was good?

Thanks!

-D

Edited by Wizcrafts
Corrected spelling of word "Guide"

You can learn a bit of everything from this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Secrets-F-Baird/dp/091828001X

I don't think there is one book for everything leather. Too many styles and techniques.

If you're looking for tooling books try Sheridan Style Carving by Bob Likewise (with Bill Gardner & Clinton Faye).

The Leatherworking Handbook by Valerie Michael is a good one for learning hand stitching, construction techniques and has some practical projects in it.

Leatherworker.net , Not just current threads but doing proper searches going back many years results in alot of good information. 

The encyclopedia of rawhide and leather braiding https://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Rawhide-Leather-Braiding-Bruce/dp/0870331612 if you want to do any type of braiding. 

The Al Stohlman case making series is very good basic information. Most of the projects arent applicable to todays leather working however the basic construction is very useful when applied to your own projects. 

I really wish that I had purchased the Al Stohlman case making books right when I first started.  It would have saved countless hours of internet searching and struggles.  Also Leather Tools and The Art of Hand Sewing Leather are very useful.

This book had always been one of my key reference guides.

58ab06a80fd5c_leatherworkinghandbook.jpg.3f39c1f3b3a523d478efca462d0e03d3.jpg