HBAR

How to lazy stitch a belt or pattern needed, suggestions

I make lots of belts, however nobody has ever wanted a lazy stiched belt.

Is there a formula that makes laying it out easy?   Or does someone have a pattern they could send me that I could print out and duplicate.

Thank you.

https://www.triplek.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/271.jpg

clearly I can figure it out, I was just hoping someone had a trick or advice on how to lay it out.. The stitching isnt hard I have a Cobra Class 4, and it makes belts nice.  This belt will be 1/4" thick with a nylon liner (the guy is a heavy guy this will keep it from stretching)

lazystitch.jpg

Edited by HBAR

Yeah, simple enough.  I don't know of a "right" way -- including the one in your picture.

Basically, decide how wide you  want the belt, and how wide you want the pattern.  Then decide how you'd like it to look finished - with or without those "fishtail" points between the ovals.  Here's what I mean.. 

sad.jpgThese are both 1 1/2" wide with 1/4" borders (don't need to be on the belt, just making a point), so the "pattern" is 1" wide.

The area you want to cover is spaced evenly.  In this example, the top and bottom belts are spaced the same horizontally (obviously you wouldn't mark the leather like that, just for example).

In teh top example, the marks are made along the center line of the strap, and then an arc is made from point to point, meeting in the middle of the strap.  Then teh same arc is marked again, upside down, meeting at the same points.

On the bottom, the horizontal spacing is the same, but the arcs are marked 1/4" from each edge (you can use a square to keep them matched up).  This leaves that 'diamond' or 'fishtail' look if you prefer that.

As for the radius, this is why I say 'no right or wrong'.  I have had people tell me they used anything from a coffee can to a dinner plate for the curve, and some actually draw it out on paper and trace. :dunno:

Here is what I did.

I decided I wanted the pattern  to be 3/4" total (height). 1 1/2" belt, my stitch line is usually at 3/16" in.  I measured in to where I needed to be for the pattern. I then decide 4 1/8" would be the perfect legth of the arc.  I tried several different round items I had laying on the bench turns out a small kitchen plate made the perfect arc.  Then I just ran the arc, over and over until it was done. Very easy and it will be really easy next time since I wont have to wonder how to do it.

Ah yes.  Ive never heard it called lazy stitch before.  Why is it called that?