Sign in to follow this  
txclas

Long Wallet structure?

I have some 3 oz. Horween Chromexcel HF that I think should be used with a 4 oz. exterior, when tooling/carving..   First...Am I correct in this thinking.??

Second...Can I use this as an exterior and interior if not tooling.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

There is probably another thread on this...but I can't find it. 

If you are not tooling it should be fine. If you are tooling I think it may need to be thicker but I'm not a tooler so I'm not sure. 

My best search results come from Google searches that bring up 5 or 6 threads from here. I think this original leatherworker site has been up for a long time, so the search feature is a little dated.

Just open another browser and search. It will always lead you back here for the best answers.

P.s. I just got me some cxl from Maverick and am looking forward to some wallets.

Biker...I have been doing just that...googling this question.

Thank you for your answer.

And I have to agree with some of the threads are quite dated. But...at least there are answers.

I just received a shipment from Maverick as well, and am starting a couple of projects as well, tomorrow.

Again thanks.

No worries. That horween stuff (even as seconds) is pretty.

9 hours ago, txclas said:

I have some 3 oz. Horween Chromexcel HF that I think should be used with a 4 oz. exterior, when tooling/carving..   First...Am I correct in this thinking.??

Second...Can I use this as an exterior and interior if not tooling.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

There is probably another thread on this...but I can't find it. 

If you use the Horween as the back (the exterior) then the current weight that you have is just fine.  If you decide to do some stamping or tooling you can do it with 3 to 4 oz. but the design will not be very prominent so the better choice would be to use a 4 to 5 oz. veg-tan back for a deeper impression and more definition.  I would not recommend going any thicker than that for anything that is intended to folded and carried in a pocket as it will be very stiff and bulky for the user and it really isn't necessary.  So far, your thinking has been pretty spot on and good luck with your project; keep us posted as to how it comes out too.